Re: [ontolog-forum] semantic distance (was: the god of boundary)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:01:54 -0500
Mike --

You wrote...

The lack of capability of computing the distance between two
words/phrases/ideas still cripples all current semantic tools.

The replacement for ontology will possess, as its major
term/characteristic, the ability to compute semantic distances.

I'd be interested in your thoughts please about the semantic distance proposal in [1].

The basic idea is that, in walking an abstraction hierarchy up from A and back down to B, the semantic distance is measured by ambiguity, that is, the number of wrong turns you could make along the way.

Thanks!                                -- Adrian

[1]  www.reengineeringllc.com/Internet_Business_Logic_and_Semantic_Web_Presentation.pdf , slides 40-50

Internet Business Logic (R)
A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
                                Shared use is free
Adrian Walker
Reengineering
Phone: USA 860 830 2085

On 2/8/07, Mike Brenner <mikeb@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Bob Smith wrote:
> Is this all about the old topic called "Semantic Distance" we played
> with in the late 1960's and early 1970's, but now with a better GIS-OGC
> sense of "Distance"?

The lack of capability of computing the distance between two
words/phrases/ideas still cripples all current semantic tools.

The replacement for ontology will possess, as its major
term/characteristic, the ability to compute semantic distances.

Mike