Re: [ontolog-forum] semantic distance (was: the god of boundary)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Newcomb <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 Feb 2007 16:46:06 -0500
FYI.    (01)

For a *completely* different take on "measuring semantic distance",
see ieml.org , and click on "Dictionnaire".  Although it may not be
obvious at that website, what Pierre Lévy (Canada Chair for Collective
Intelligence, U. of Ottawa) has done there is to propose an address
space within which every kind of human transaction (political,
spiritual, literary, etc ...) has a unique and well-grounded address.
The fact that all addresses are expressed in terms of two dialectics,
one with three poles and one with two poles, is what makes the
distances in the space "measurable".  (Although the multiple possible
approaches to the making of actual measurements based on these poles
is an area of ongoing research.)  It's not yet completely clear to me
how the grounding actually happens, but I'm convinced that it's
happening in at least *some* minds.      (02)

Regardless of whether it actually "works" in some particular sense or
another, it's one of the most intriguing things I've seen.  For
example, it has forced me to question my long-held conviction that
there's no comprehensive way to categorize relationships, hyperlinks,
etc.  Lévy's approach implicitly discards everything that's outside
the human frame of reference (as if he were acting on the converse of
Montaigne's observation that "nothing human was alien to him"), and
explicitly says that, at least *within* the human frame of reference,
everything is touched, in a knowable, groundable fashion, by his two
dialectics.    (03)

"Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx> writes:    (04)

> You wrote...
>
> The lack of capability of computing the distance between two
> words/phrases/ideas still cripples all current semantic tools.
>
> The replacement for ontology will possess, as its major
> term/characteristic, the ability to compute semantic distances.
>
> I'd be interested in your thoughts please about the semantic distance
> proposal in [1].
>
> The basic idea is that, in walking an abstraction hierarchy up from A and
> back down to B, the semantic distance is measured by ambiguity, that is, the
> number of wrong turns you could make along the way.
>
> Thanks!                                -- Adrian
>
> [1]
>
>www.reengineeringllc.com/Internet_Business_Logic_and_Semantic_Web_Presentation.pdf,
> slides 40-50
>
> Internet Business Logic (R)
> A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
> Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
>                                 Shared use is free
> Adrian Walker
> Reengineering
> Phone: USA 860 830 2085
>

> On 2/8/07, Mike Brenner <mikeb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Bob Smith wrote:
> > > Is this all about the old topic called "Semantic Distance" we played
> > > with in the late 1960's and early 1970's, but now with a better GIS-OGC
> > > sense of "Distance"?
> >

> > The lack of capability of computing the distance between two
> > words/phrases/ideas still cripples all current semantic tools.
> >
> > The replacement for ontology will possess, as its major
> > term/characteristic, the ability to compute semantic distances.
> >
> > Mike

>      (05)

--     (06)

-- Steve    (07)

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
Coolheads Consulting    (08)

Co-editor, Topic Maps International Standard (ISO/IEC 13250)
Co-editor, draft Topic Maps -- Reference Model (ISO/IEC 13250-5)    (09)

srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.coolheads.com    (010)

direct: +1 540 951 9773
main:   +1 540 951 9774
fax:    +1 540 951 9775    (011)

208 Highview Drive
Blacksburg, Virginia 24060 USA    (012)

(Confidential to all US government personnel to whom this private
letter is not addressed and who are reading it in the absence of a
specific search warrant: In keeping with the publicly-confessed
criminal conduct of the Bush administration, and with the
irresponsible actions of the pusillanimous and corrupt 109th Congress,
you are co-conspiring to subvert the Constitution that you are sworn
to defend.  You can either refuse to commit this crime, or you can
expect to suffer criminal sanctions in the future, when the Executive
Branch of the government of the United States of America once again
demonstrates respect for the rule of law.  I do not envy you for
having to make this difficult choice, but I urge you to make it
wisely.)    (013)