Re: [ontolog-forum] semantic distance (was: the god of boundary)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 17:31:34 -0500
Base the distances on topology, spatial relationships as they are
shown, rather than words and phrases. Measurable spatial
relationships, densities, ages, and locations of ideas. The words and
phrases can be reassociated with the ideas afterwards.    (01)

Deborah MacPherson    (02)

On 2/8/07, Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike --
>
> You wrote...
>
> The lack of capability of computing the distance between two
> words/phrases/ideas still cripples all current semantic tools.
>
> The replacement for ontology will possess, as its major
>  term/characteristic, the ability to compute semantic distances.
>
> I'd be interested in your thoughts please about the semantic distance
> proposal in [1].
>
> The basic idea is that, in walking an abstraction hierarchy up from A and
> back down to B, the semantic distance is measured by ambiguity, that is, the
> number of wrong turns you could make along the way.
>
> Thanks!                                -- Adrian
>
> [1]
>
>www.reengineeringllc.com/Internet_Business_Logic_and_Semantic_Web_Presentation.pdf
> , slides 40-50
>
> Internet Business Logic (R)
> A Wiki for Executable Open Vocabulary English
> Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
>                                 Shared use is free
> Adrian Walker
> Reengineering
> Phone: USA 860 830 2085
>

> On 2/8/07, Mike Brenner <mikeb@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > Bob Smith wrote:
> > > Is this all about the old topic called "Semantic Distance" we played
> > > with in the late 1960's and early 1970's, but now with a better GIS-OGC
> > > sense of "Distance"?
> >

> > The lack of capability of computing the distance between two
> > words/phrases/ideas still cripples all current semantic tools.
> >
> > The replacement for ontology will possess, as its major
> > term/characteristic, the ability to compute semantic distances.
> >
> > Mike

> > Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/
> > Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
> > To Post: mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com    (06)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (07)