Re: [ontolog-forum] Summary on language and ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Internet Business Logic <ibl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:00:53 -0400
Adam, Patrick, All --    (01)

Yes, indeed, quite a lot of meaning is in the relations (=>, ->, &,
or...) between atomic items in formal notations.    (02)

But there's more, much more!    (03)

To see this, consider slides 14-17, 35-43, and finally slide 52 of    (04)

http://www.reengineeringllc.com/Internet_Business_Logic_e-Government_Presentation.pdf    (05)

These slides argue that, if we limit "meaning" to technical notations
(combinations of symbols like =>, ->, &, or..., RDF, URIs...), then
there is no grounding in the world outside the computer. That in turn
severely limits the usefulness of the "meanings" for real world tasks.    (06)

Sure, we all know and love our succinct logic and programming notations,
but they were invented before Von Neumann, and they deliberately leave
out the pragmatics of natural language.    (07)

That said, full natural language understanding is of course the
"AI-complete problem [1]". However, there is a minimalist approach that
appears to work, and that does document executably the things that
English sentences mean to people. It's in the implemented system online
at www.reengineeringllc.com, and shared use of the system to write and
run examples via a browser is free. The system functions as a kind of
Wiki for executable English content, and there are already many
ontological and other examples.    (08)

Thanks in advance for comments.    (09)

-- Adrian Walker    (010)

[1] A reference to NP-completeness, the key open problem for nearly all
of complexity theory.    (011)

--     (012)

Internet Business Logic (R)
Executable open vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free    (013)

Reengineering,  PO Box 1412,  Bristol,  CT 06011-1412,  USA    (014)

Phone 860 583 9677     Mobile 860 830 2085     Fax 860 314 1029    (015)

Adam Pease wrote:    (016)