Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics1, 2, and 3 (Was: Summary on language and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Internet Business Logic <ibl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:51:26 -0400
Chris --

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

You wrote (below)

I'm not sure what you mean by "RDB" in this context -- relational database?  I don't get the connection there with semantics.  Do you have the idea of a relational datamodel in mind here?  I would agree that is a kind of semantics, insofar as it specifies logical properties of, and relations among, a set of pertinent classes.  But XML is a language for markup specification, and RDF is just itself an (expressively rather weak) language.  It's hard for me to think of any sense in which these count as semantics.

I agree that the notion that these things have semantics is rather weak.  I'm just going along with the Semantic Web folks' usage -- they attach the "semantic" label to data that has a schema, or that is interleaved with metadata as in XML or RDF.

Ok, one uses the model theory (of which fixpoint theory is a species) to define the notion of validity with respect to which one implements a reasoning engine.  Is that what you mean?

Yes, exactly.

Absent that, one gets into problems where a collection of clauses yields different conclusions depending on implementation details of the engine that executes them.  (This is particularly tricky when dealing with closed world, non-monotonic negation as is the usage over commercial databases.)  So, it seems reasonable to say that the model theory assigns a clear declarative meaning to any collection of clauses, and that an engine is correct if it faithfully reproduces that meaning.

I appreciate what you are doing, but it's hard for me to see that you've done anything more (or less) than introduce a sort of structured English for queries rather than a more mathematical notation -- an idea that has of course been around for a long time.  But all this approach does is give logic a prettier face.  I don't want to denigrate that -- I think that is a very good thing to do.  But I think your packaging suggests you've done something more than that, that it captures "real world" semantics more effectively than more formal notations.

I guess I'd defend the "real world semantics" description by noting that others have described the shortcomings of using only formal notations for real world tasks, see e.g. slides 21 and 22 of www.reengineeringllc.com/Internet_Business_Logic_e-Government_Presentation.pdf .

Actually, although the support for English in the system is technically rather simple, the approach means that the executable English that one can usefully write is essentially unstructured.  The vocabulary is open, and so to a large extent is the syntax.  This, of course, is puzzling if one is used to classical dictionary-grammar approaches.  There is a trade off involved -- if an author wants the system to regard two sentences as having the same meaning, he must write that down explicitly.  An upside is that the English meanings are precise.

I understand that that some of the above will be counter-intuitive to many people.  However, the system is online**, and you can use a browser to view, run and change the examples provided.  List folks are cordially invited to write and run their own examples.  Thanks in advance for taking  some time to do this, and for further comments.

                                                           Adrian Walker
--

**Internet Business Logic (R)
Executable open vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free

Reengineering,  PO Box 1412,  Bristol,  CT 06011-1412,  USA

Phone 860 583 9677
Mobile 860 830 2085
Fax 860 314 1029