ontolog-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics1, 2, and 3 (Was: Summary on language and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:51:26 -0400
Message-id: <443D4C2E.9010905@xxxxxxxx>
Chris --

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this.

You wrote (below)

I'm not sure what you mean by "RDB" in this context -- relational database?  I don't get the connection there with semantics.  Do you have the idea of a relational datamodel in mind here?  I would agree that is a kind of semantics, insofar as it specifies logical properties of, and relations among, a set of pertinent classes.  But XML is a language for markup specification, and RDF is just itself an (expressively rather weak) language.  It's hard for me to think of any sense in which these count as semantics. 

I agree that the notion that these things have semantics is rather weak.  I'm just going along with the Semantic Web folks' usage -- they attach the "semantic" label to data that has a schema, or that is interleaved with metadata as in XML or RDF.

Ok, one uses the model theory (of which fixpoint theory is a species) to define the notion of validity with respect to which one implements a reasoning engine.  Is that what you mean?

Yes, exactly.

Absent that, one gets into problems where a collection of clauses yields different conclusions depending on implementation details of the engine that executes them.  (This is particularly tricky when dealing with closed world, non-monotonic negation as is the usage over commercial databases.)  So, it seems reasonable to say that the model theory assigns a clear declarative meaning to any collection of clauses, and that an engine is correct if it faithfully reproduces that meaning.

I appreciate what you are doing, but it's hard for me to see that you've done anything more (or less) than introduce a sort of structured English for queries rather than a more mathematical notation -- an idea that has of course been around for a long time.  But all this approach does is give logic a prettier face.  I don't want to denigrate that -- I think that is a very good thing to do.  But I think your packaging suggests you've done something more than that, that it captures "real world" semantics more effectively than more formal notations.

I guess I'd defend the "real world semantics" description by noting that others have described the shortcomings of using only formal notations for real world tasks, see e.g. slides 21 and 22 of www.reengineeringllc.com/Internet_Business_Logic_e-Government_Presentation.pdf .

Actually, although the support for English in the system is technically rather simple, the approach means that the executable English that one can usefully write is essentially unstructured.  The vocabulary is open, and so to a large extent is the syntax.  This, of course, is puzzling if one is used to classical dictionary-grammar approaches.  There is a trade off involved -- if an author wants the system to regard two sentences as having the same meaning, he must write that down explicitly.  An upside is that the English meanings are precise.

I understand that that some of the above will be counter-intuitive to many people.  However, the system is online**, and you can use a browser to view, run and change the examples provided.  List folks are cordially invited to write and run their own examples.  Thanks in advance for taking  some time to do this, and for further comments.

Adrian Walker                         
-- 

**Internet Business Logic (R)
Executable open vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free

Reengineering,  PO Box 1412,  Bristol,  CT 06011-1412,  USA

Phone 860 583 9677     
Mobile 860 830 2085     
Fax 860 314 1029

Christopher Menzel wrote:
On Apr 12, 2006, at 10:00 AM, Internet Business Logic wrote:

Hi Patrick --

You wrote....

If your argument that widespread use of formal ontologies or other methods will require better interfaces for the average user, I don't think you will find much disagreement on this list or elsewhere. But, and it is an important but, unless the underlying principles which are used by such an interface can be specified and discussed with precision, then the results of any interface are not going to be particularly useful.

The key here is that if one is doing "semantics" in the real world, it is no longer enough to produce a formal notation and hope that someone will produce a non-geek-human understandable user interface to it.  That approach leaves open likely semantic disconnects between the human meaning and the system meaning.

What we have done is essentially to integrate 3 kinds of semantics in one design and system [1]:
  • Semantics1 is "Data Semantics". as in RDB, XML or RDF
I'm not sure what you mean by "RDB" in this context -- relational database?  I don't get the connection there with semantics.  Do you have the idea of a relational datamodel in mind here?  I would agree that is a kind of semantics, insofar as it specifies logical properties of, and relations among, a set of pertinent classes.  But XML is a language for markup specification, and RDF is just itself an (expressively rather weak) language.  It's hard for me to think of any sense in which these count as semantics.  
  • Semantics2 specifies what a reasoning engine should do (in our case via a model- and fixpoint-theory [2])
Ok, one uses the model theory (of which fixpoint theory is a species) to define the notion of validity with respect to which one implements a reasoning engine.  Is that what you mean?
  • Semantics3 concerns the Application Semantics in the meaning of English concepts at the author- and user-interface.
In the system, the link between Semantics3 and Semantics2 is of course automatic, and two way.  You can verify that it works by using a browser to view, run and change the examples at [3], and by writing and running your own examples.

In principle, the way that this works is by automatically mapping English sentences, with place holders (variables) for values, to- and from-  predicates.  There are some complexities our implementation of  this, but it is conceptually quite simple.   It is in no way  a contribution to research in natural language processing [4],  just a  minimalist and robust way of grounding  Semantics 1 and 2 out to  something meaningful to  nontechnical humans (Semantics3).

I appreciate what you are doing, but it's hard for me to see that you've done anything more (or less) than introduce a sort of structured English for queries rather than a more mathematical notation -- an idea that has of course been around for a long time.  But all this approach does is give logic a prettier face.  I don't want to denigrate that -- I think that is a very good thing to do.  But I think your packaging suggests you've done something more than that, that it captures "real world" semantics more effectively than more formal notations.

Sure, we all know and love our succinct logic and programming notations, but they were invented before Von Neumann, and they deliberately leave out the pragmatics of natural language.

I am not sure what you mean by the "pragmatics of natural language?" Granted that logics and programming notations are more limited than natural languages but then they never pretended to be natural languages.

BTW, historically speaking, there have been a number of logics "invented" post von Neumann.

Moreover, there weren't any programming languages at all invented before von Neumann.  Indeed, von Neumann himself only stated the basic concepts of a programming language in the abstract.

Regards,

-chris

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>