Re: [ontolog-forum] Technical Discussion Session on "Semantic Web Servi

To: "Amit Sheth @ LSDIS" <amit@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "verm >> KUNAL VERMA" <verma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Martin <martin@xxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:24:33 -0700
At JPL, we are also familiar with the 'data' problem; however, since we
are engineers,
we see things a bit differently and distinguish two kinds of 'data':    (01)

- 'data' as a 'product' (we call that a 'data product')    (02)

In the sense of Barry Smith's recent presentation on ontolog, an
autographic document (i.e., the product itself)
that has an underlying allographic document (i.e., the information
expressed in that product)    (03)

- 'data' as the 'state' of something    (04)

Again, there's a conceptual distinction between an autographic
description of state (which we call a 'state view')
vs. an allographic descriptio of state (which we call a 'state function'
because state is fundamentally dependent on some
notion of 'time' whether it is physical time, mythical time or some
other indexing criteria used as 'time').    (05)

There's more about this stuff in the paper I've attached.
My involvement in that work as been as the implementation
level where I spent a great deal of time & energy into couching
that work in an explicit state architecture model. (no shameless plug to
give you though).    (06)

-- Nicolas.    (07)

Amit Sheth @ LSDIS wrote:    (08)