[ontolog-forum] Axioms in Protege

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:16:55 -0400
(1)  The question has been discussed of whether and how
axioms can be represented in Protege.  I have added
the 869 axioms from the SUMO 1.55 text file to
the UBL-invoice protege ontology as "PAL-CONSTRAINTS".
They can be viewed in the Protege files:
      ftp://micra.com/ontolog/UBLinv017.pprj
      ftp://micra.com/ontolog/UBLinv017.pont
      ftp://micra.com/ontolog/UBLinv017.pins    (01)

To see the axioms, one goes to the "instances"
window and selects :PAL-CONSTRAINT
   (:SYSTEM-CLASS ->:CONSTRAINT ->:PAL-CONSTRAINT)
This merely serves to record the axioms where
they can be viewed and recovered, e.g. by
translation into KIF or any other first-order
logic notation.
---------------    (02)

(2)   At this point I am mostly interested in finding
the basic concepts that UBL uses and recording them
in Protege as a means of formalizing them in an
ontology.  The ultimate format for actual implementation
in a program can be any logical system.  The question
of axioms is dealt with here merely to answer a question
that has been raised about the usefulness of Protege.
    I would still like to discuss the meanings of the
Basic Core Concepts with anyone who has some
understanding of their intended meanings.
    The Ontolog project as I interpret it might
be summarized:
    I.   grok the UBL knowledge base
    II.  convert or add it to an ontology that can
         be used in applications    (03)

    The problem is that data on the UBL concepts
are distributed in several files, so that to get
a complete understanding of them (to "grok" them)
I think it is useful to try to organize all of
the information in one window -- which is what
protege is good at.
    As for the form of the ontology that can be
used in applications --  we will know that when
we actually have access to a business application
that can use an ontology.    (04)

------------------------------------    (05)

(3)   The axioms help add detail to the meanings of
the various concepts, most importantly the relations.
Those axioms which help define a particular
relation (slot) have been added to a special
:AXIOMS pane in the slot window.  Those axioms
that help define class concepts are referred to in
the "Constraints" pane of the class window.  If one
selects the class "Region", for example (Physical->
Object->Region) one sees "SUMAX-61" in the
Constraints pane.  Select that constraint, then
click on the "V" button above the Constraints
pane, and the constraint instance window will pop up.
At this point, the formatting of most of the
constraints may be confusing.  I will have to
correct that if anyone thinks it is worth the effort.    (06)

    But these axioms in Protege have only been
attached in most cases to one concept -- class
or slot.  To see all axioms that mention some
particular class or slot, one would want to use
the SUMO ontology browser for that particular
class or slot.    (07)

(4)  If we decide to add additional axioms for
the UBL ontology, it would be best to name them
differently, e.g. "UBLaxiom-001".  Then they can
be automatically extracted and added to the KIF file,
which already contains the SUMO axioms.    (08)

    I'll be away on vacation for a couple of weeks and
will try to find some time to do more when I return.    (010)

     Pat    (011)

Patrick Cassidy    (012)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (013)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx