Re: [ontolog-forum] Axioms in Protege

To: cassidy@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:53:41 -0700
Pat,
   I appreciate all the work you're doing, but it needs to be reported a
bit more accurately.  Protege can't represent SUMO's axioms.  The field
into which you've entered them is essentially a comment field.  As you've
noted, Protege can't even browse to those axioms properly, since in the
Protege language they're attached to only one class, rather than all the
terms used in the axiom.
   For example, look at the following SUMO axiom, which says that any part
of an object is above the bottom of that object (which is not itself part
of the bottom part).    (01)

(=>
     (and
         (bottom ?BOTTOM ?OBJECT)
         (part ?PART ?OBJECT)
         (not
             (connected ?PART ?BOTTOM)))
     (orientation ?PART ?BOTTOM Above))    (02)

This axiom contains several terms.  The axiom is much a part of the
definition of "bottom" as it is of "part" or "Above", and yet if one
attached the axiom to "Above", one wouldn't see it when looking at
definitions for "bottom".  I could note that orientation is a ternary
relation too, but since the axiom is only a comment, any text can be
included, and none of that text is part of the Protege ontology.    (03)

Adam    (04)