Re: Representation - KIF vs Protege [was Re: [ontolog-forum] Personas a

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <yimpp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 14:13:23 -0700

Adam Pease wrote Thu, 07 Aug 2003 09:48:57 -0700:
 > Peter,
 >   If the model is created in KIF and then translated to Protege this
 > might work, but if the model is created in Protege and translated
to > KIF you'll have the problems I mentioned analogous to writing C
 > style in C++.    (01)

Sounds good. I was, in fact, looking forward to more discussion on
"how" we can end up with both KIF and Protégé. Therefore, what you
point out here is most relevant indeed.    (02)

&
 > if the argument for a frame representation is that it has a larger
 > user base, or more tools (which is the argument I believe that
 > Peter was making), than that same argument could be made ad
 > absurdum to argue for just sticking with XML, and not trying to
 > create an ontology.    (03)

I was using that argument to support my case that "Our solution will
need to be adopted and applied, if it were to even come close to being
successful", not to be confused with condoning that Protégé (or KIF,
or XML) is totally adequate, or optimal, on its own.    (04)

My consideration extends beyond the ability to represent the knowledge
... and is supposed to cover diffusion, user acceptance, and other
user adoption related "soft" (social, psychological, ...) issues as well.    (05)

As mentioned, we would need to
    ... "tackle both the science, as well as coming up with the
engineering solution that is "good enough" ..."    (06)

I am sincerely hoping that we we can achieve the precision (as in the
"science") as well as being able to compromise, optimize, and DELIVER
a standard business ontology to the masses/industry (as in the
"engineering").    (07)

The approach to achieving one or the other may be different, but that
should not preclude us from considering both, and to make an honest
attempt to achieving both at the same time. It's going to be a
challenge ... but then, we've got some *very* good people in the
community too!  :-)    (08)

Regards,
PPY
--    (09)

http://purpleslurple.cim3.org/ps.php?theurl=http://protege.stanford.edu/#purp169    (011)

 >> ).
 >>
 >> Referring, again, to both our [ontolog-forum] charter (see:
 >> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl#nid011 ),
 >> and that of UBL's (see:
 >> http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/charter.php ),
 >> we are out to contribute to solving an e-business industry
 >> standardization problem. Our solution will need to be adopted and
 >> applied, if it were to even come close to being successful.
 >>
 >> As such, I am in favor of having our work represented (at least) both
 >> in KIF and in Protégé (I actually thought that was what we had agreed
 >> upon before)  -- with both being our normative deliverable.  We need
 >> to leverage the Protégé users, developers, plug-ins, ... etc.
 >>
 >> Therefore, my suggestion is that we should focus the conversation,
not
 >> on whether its should be KIF or Protégé, but rather, how can we
 >> deliver BOTH, and in so doing tackle both the science, as well as
 >> coming up with the engineering solution that is "good enough" to
be an
 >> applicable industry standard -- and, be able to help the industry
 >> migrate to that solution with ease.
 >>
 >> Regards,
 >> PPY
 >>
 >> P.S. May I request that we all try to make sure that the
discussion is
 >> consistent with the subject line -- this will greatly facilitate
 >> future retrieval/re-use of the knowledge, at least by humans. :-)
  -ppy