okmds-org

Re: [okmds-org] Next pass on our draft charter

To: OKMDS Organizing Committee <okmds-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "OKMDS Organizing Committee" <okmds-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, okmds-org-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Jeanne Holm <jeanne.holm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:38:11 -0700
Wow, thanks Susan and all for helping to move this forward.    (01)

Some comments are embedded.  Excellent job!    (02)

--Jeanne    (03)

>DRAFT
>
>  Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKDMS): Making
>Space
>or
>  Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKDMS): Making
>Better Decisions
>or
>  Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKDMS): Making
>Space for Discernment    (04)

My favorite is "Making Better Decisions"    (05)

>  This six month virtual mini-series will open up dialogue and discovery at
>  the promising intersection of Ontology and Knowledge Development and the
>role of both in decision support.
>
>  The NASA Mission of "Space Administration"    (06)

"Space Exploration" might be better to avoid over use of the other
space (or did I miss a pun somewhere?).    (07)

>applied in its most expansive
>form, serves as the inspiration for this series.  The need to effectively
>administer "knowledge space" to yield meaningful connections that are
>scalable and sustainable is a strategic challenge of all institutions,
>  whether that knowledge resides primarily within, outside, or across an
>institution's span of control. Furthermore, the knowledge space must be
>integrated with institutional
>processes for policy making and development so that their effect on
>decisions is fundamental rather than incidental.
>
>  As the famed architect, Louis Kahn noted, "Architecture is the thoughtful
>making of space."    (08)

I like the idea of knowledge space for many reasons, including the
idea that the virtual or physical or information space helps to form
the conversation that arises within it.    (09)

>  In this series, we'll explore how Enterprise Architecture (using Ontology
>and Knowledge Management) is the thoughtful making of space...a space with
>the tensile integrity needed by disparate institutions to create conducive
>conditions for emergence of the collective scientific and engineering
>  knowledge needed for future space... where all humanity can thrive.
>
>We'll explore how Ontology and Knowledge Management, working in concert,
>"make space" to accommodate difference at multiple levels and contexts. In
>this emerging  space, both individuals and institutions can more easily
>  distill knowledge from complexity and make policies and decisions using
>knowledge based processes.
>
>  In addition, we'll explore how to combine at least three scaffolding
>approaches for the integrated and agile "build-out" of knowledge needed:
>community (structured bottom-up), folksonomy (unstructured bottom-up) and
>  ontology (structured top-down).
>
>  The virtual seminar and panel discussion events will be offered
>concurrently in a real world "space" as augmented conference calls and a
>virtual world "space, Second Life.
>  NASA will provide orientation to Second Life as the mini-series gets
>underway.   The announcement and online discourse will be cross-posted to
>[ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum-at-ontolog.cim3.net and
>[kmgov]<kmgov-at-list.jpl.nasa.gov.
>
>  Draft Questions:
>  1.How can we explore the intersection of Ontology and Knowledge
>Management and Decision Support to define  promising collaborations among
>them?
>  2. How do we help people working with our organization o discover useful
>knowledge?
>3. How can we structure information for decision support (both known and
>serendipitious inquiry)?  Conversely, how can we structure decision making
>processes to take maximum
>advantage of knowledge?
>  4. What are the ontologies to prioritize for scientific exchange?
>  5. How does the use of semantic technologies draw these fields closer and
>support better knowledge discovery and better decision and policy making?
>  6.How could "simulation-scripting" exercises in virtual worlds accelerate
>the development and sustained use of ontologies in the real world?
>  7. How might these "simulation-scaffold" ontologies, in turn, improve the
>pace and complexity of learning associated with large-scale "modeling
>event" scenarios that are anticipated in virtual world settings?
>
>Susan B. Turnbull
>Senior Program Advisor
>USA Services Intergovernmental Solutions
>GSA Office of Citizen Services and Communications
>U.S. General Services Administration
>p 202.501.6214
>susan.turnbull@xxxxxxx
>http://www.gsa.gov/collaborate

Jeanne Holm
Chief Knowledge Architect
NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop 602-109
Pasadena, CA  91109
(818) 354-8282    (011)

See what's happening with NASA's Knowledge
Management Team! http://km.nasa.gov