okmds-org

Re: [okmds-org] Next pass on our draft charter

To: "OKMDS Organizing Committee" <okmds-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "OKMDS Organizing Committee" <okmds-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, okmds-org-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: susan.turnbull@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:02:45 -0400
Here's a cleaned up draft with Peter and Ken's comments incorporated, the
"alien" characters removed, and some initial title choices.  Susan T.    (01)

DRAFT    (02)

 Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKDMS): Making
Space
or
 Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKDMS): Making
Better Decisions
or
 Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision Support (OKDMS): Making
Space for Discernment    (03)

 This six month virtual mini-series will open up dialogue and discovery at
 the promising intersection of Ontology and Knowledge Development and the
role of both in decision support.    (04)

 The NASA Mission of "Space Administration" applied in its most expansive
form, serves as the inspiration for this series.  The need to effectively
administer "knowledge space" to yield meaningful connections that are
scalable and sustainable is a strategic challenge of all institutions,
 whether that knowledge resides primarily within, outside, or across an
institution's span of control. Furthermore, the knowledge space must be
integrated with institutional
processes for policy making and development so that their effect on
decisions is fundamental rather than incidental.    (05)

 As the famed architect, Louis Kahn noted, "Architecture is the thoughtful
making of space."    (06)

 In this series, we'll explore how Enterprise Architecture (using Ontology
and Knowledge Management) is the thoughtful making of space...a space with
the tensile integrity needed by disparate institutions to create conducive
conditions for emergence of the collective scientific and engineering
 knowledge needed for future space... where all humanity can thrive.    (07)

We'll explore how Ontology and Knowledge Management, working in concert,
"make space" to accommodate difference at multiple levels and contexts. In
this emerging  space, both individuals and institutions can more easily
 distill knowledge from complexity and make policies and decisions using
knowledge based processes.    (08)

 In addition, we'll explore how to combine at least three scaffolding
approaches for the integrated and agile "build-out" of knowledge needed:
community (structured bottom-up), folksonomy (unstructured bottom-up) and
 ontology (structured top-down).    (09)

 The virtual seminar and panel discussion events will be offered
concurrently in a real world "space" as augmented conference calls and a
virtual world "space, Second Life.
 NASA will provide orientation to Second Life as the mini-series gets
underway.   The announcement and online discourse will be cross-posted to
[ontolog-forum] <ontolog-forum-at-ontolog.cim3.net and
[kmgov]<kmgov-at-list.jpl.nasa.gov.    (010)

 Draft Questions:
 1.How can we explore the intersection of Ontology and Knowledge
Management and Decision Support to define  promising collaborations among
them?
 2. How do we help people working with our organization o discover useful
knowledge?
3. How can we structure information for decision support (both known and
serendipitious inquiry)?  Conversely, how can we structure decision making
processes to take maximum
advantage of knowledge?
 4. What are the ontologies to prioritize for scientific exchange?
 5. How does the use of semantic technologies draw these fields closer and
support better knowledge discovery and better decision and policy making?
 6.How could "simulation-scripting" exercises in virtual worlds accelerate
the development and sustained use of ontologies in the real world?
 7. How might these "simulation-scaffold" ontologies, in turn, improve the
pace and complexity of learning associated with large-scale "modeling
event" scenarios that are anticipated in virtual world settings?    (011)

Susan B. Turnbull
Senior Program Advisor
USA Services Intergovernmental Solutions
GSA Office of Citizen Services and Communications
U.S. General Services Administration
p 202.501.6214
susan.turnbull@xxxxxxx
http://www.gsa.gov/collaborate    (012)