health-ont

RE: [health-ont] Abstract due Monday: FCW 1st Government Health IT Conf

To: "[health-ont] " <health-ont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cassidy,Patrick J." <PCASSIDY@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 13:38:26 -0400
Peter,
  Thanks for the info.  I missed the session on OpenVistA, and haven't
had time to catch up.
  Even for systems that have the virtues of OpenVistA, I think that any
documents from the community as a whole need to avoid seeming to endorse
any particular product, unless it was tested by a group project.
Individuals can feel free to recommend products they like, and community
documents can cite phrases like "product X or the equivalent".  The
first paragraph of the specific proposal is a single run-on sentence
mentioning only one product, which is prefaced by "in particular", which
gave (me) the impression of a strong endorsement, not much mitigated by
the "such tools as" qualifier.  Suggestion: break it into two sentences
and take out the "in particular", and it would to my taste sound more
objective.  Proselytizing is fine for individuals, but needs to be done
cautiously by groups, after discussion of whether an endorsement is
warranted.  I think this is true regardless of the actual virtues of the
product.    (01)

    Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MITRE Corporation