OpenOntologyRepository: "Common User Interface" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_09_17    (3X92)

Session Topic: Developing a Common UI Across Disparate OOR Instances    (3X93)

Session Chair: KenBaclawski    (3X94)

Opening Briefing: DanielCoutoVale (slides)    (3XIB)

This is an open discussion session ... We hope stewards and users of current and developing ontology repositories (folks from Ontohub, COLORE, and various BioPortal-based OOR nodes ... and other domain ontology repositories, like, for Standards, SpacePortal, Financial Industry, etc.) to join us in this session, share their thoughts and help develop a consensus regarding a common user interface across disparate OOR instances.    (3XIC)

Conference Call Details:    (3XID)

Attendees:    (3XJA)

Agenda Ideas    (3XJM)

In-session Resources    (3XJQ)

Agenda & Proceedings    (3XJT)

Archives:    (3XJU)

1. Meeting called to order:    (3XJX)

2. Roll Call:    (3XK2)

3. Key discussion:    (3XK5)

3.1 Opening brief - "Ontology Repositories: UI Design Considerations" - DanielCoutoVale (slides)    (3XK6)

3.2 Open discussion: developing a Common UI across disparate OOR instances    (3XK7)

4. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:    (3XK8)

 (for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
 Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.    (3XKB)
 -- begin in-session chat-transcript --    (3XKC)
	Chat transcript from room: oor_20130917
	2013-09-17 GMT-08:00
	------    (3XKD)
	[6:58] PeterYim: Welcome to the    (3XUI)
	 = OpenOntologyRepository: "Common User Interface" Discussion Session - Tue 2013_09_17 =    (3XUJ)
	Session Topic: Developing a Common UI Across Disparate OOR Instances    (3XUK)
	Session Chair: KenBaclawski    (3XUL)
	Opening Briefing: DanielCoutoVale    (3XUM)
	Session page:    (3XUN)
	Attendees: KenBaclawski (chair), DanielCoutoVale (speaker), AleksandraSojic, BobSmith, MichaelGruninger, OliverKutz, 
                   PeterYim (scribe), ToddSchneider    (3XUO)
	 == Proceeddings: ==    (3XUP)
	[7:04] PeterYim: Daniel: we lost you on the voice line ... are you re-connecting?    (3XUQ)
	[7:04] DanielCoutoVale: I'm online! But my call is falling continuously.    (3XUR)
	[7:05] DanielCoutoVale: can you hear me now?    (3XUS)
	[7:05] PeterYim: no we cannot hear you ... I can also see that your connection isn't holding    (3XUT)
	[7:07] PeterYim: == KenBaclawski starts the session ...    (3XUU)
	[7:11] PeterYim: == Open brief - DanielCoutoVale presenting ...    (3XUV)
	[7:12] PeterYim: slides are at: 
               ... shared screen (VNC server) also available    (3XUW)
	[7:13] MichaelGruninger: Where is COLORE?    (3XUX)
	[7:16] ToddSchneider: WordNet isn't an ontology, even Christiane Fellbaum agrees with this view.    (3XUY)
	[7:18] PeterYim: (for the archives) Daniel will update slides to include COLORE on slide#3    (3XUZ)
	[7:32] PeterYim: @Daniel - slide#8 ... possible typo - you probably meant "90%" (right above the graphics)    (3XV0)
	[7:35] PeterYim: @Daniel - slide#9 too (typo?)    (3XV1)
	[7:46] ToddSchneider: Don't we need to have some understanding as to what a user expects to do (when using the UI)?    (3XV2)
	[7:51] KenBaclawski: @Todd: There are excellent UI development methodologies when the stakeholders are actively involved
        in the development process, but we don't have this. So it is unclear how we would obtain such an understanding.    (3XV3)
	[7:52] ToddSchneider: There is any user feedback we can glean from BioPortal?    (3XV4)
	[8:05] MichaelGruninger: unfortunately, I need to leave now    (3XV5)
	[8:07] PeterYim: we should take into consideration the Content Accessibility Guidelines - such as, 
         ... US Section 508 standards ( ) ... or,
         ... W3C WCAG 2.0 ( )    (3XV6)
	[8:13] ToddSchneider: Decompose the use cases into appropriate widgets supporting the particular fucntions.    (3XV7)
	[8:15] ToddSchneider: Peter, the functionality across different sites should be 'common'. Those functions 
        can be derived from the use cases.    (3XV8)
	[8:17] DanielCoutoVale: By using a Client-Side UI, one could use the same page to access several repositories.    (3XV9)
	[8:17] PeterYim: @Todd - for the purpose of today's meeting, the focus is more on the UI ("look and feel"?) than 
        features and functionalities, I think    (3XVA)
	[8:19] ToddSchneider: Peter, I think look and feel are highly dependent on the functions or actions to be used or executed.    (3XVB)
	[8:20] PeterYim: I agree with Aleksandra that we should just work on the very common ones (at least for today's exercise) 
        - browse, upload, search, etc.    (3XVC)
	[8:25] PeterYim: [action] Daniel will create a google-doc to start collaboratively developing the list of "Common UI" elements 
        we will implement ... share this with everyone who is at today's call, plus MikeDean and TillMossakowski    (3XVD)
	[8:25] ToddSchneider: Have to go. Thank you Daniel, very nice analysis.    (3XVE)
	[8:26] DanielCoutoVale: Document    (3XVF)
	[8:30] PeterYim: I suggest we focus on getting our (OOR) exercise done by just engaging members/instances on this team 
        - i.e. OOR-sandbox/production; COLORE & Ontohub ... trying to engage more people will be a challenge and may just slow things down    (3XVG)
	[8:32] PeterYim: with these three groups, we want to confirm their (a) willingness, and (b) feasibility, in terms 
        of implementing a "common UI"    (3XVH)
	[8:31] PeterYim: great meeting!    (3XVI)
	[8:31] PeterYim: Thank you very much, Daniel    (3XVJ)
	[8:31] KenBaclawski: Thanks again, Daniel.    (3XVK)
	[8:33] KenBaclawski: @Peter: Engaging other groups for some feedback would help advertise the OOR as well as get 
        a better understanding of the use cases for the OOR.  If they are not involved in the development of the sandbox 
        then it should not slow it down.    (3XVL)
	[8:39] PeterYim: @Ken - I agree ... I just don't want these other on the critical path, or else we will 
        probably not be moving forward quickly enough -(remembering that we promised ourselves to try to get 
        this "common UI" implemented in 3 months, back at our 2013.06.18 meeting 
        - see: )    (3XVM)
	[8:31] PeterYim: -- session ended: 8:31am PDT --    (3XVN)
 -- end in-session chat-transcript --    (3XKE)

5. Action items:    (3XKF)

6. Any Other Business: ... (deferred to the next meeting)    (3XKH)

7. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:    (3XKJ)

 notes taken by: PeterYim / 2013.09.17-8:55am PDT
 All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.    (3XKS)

Resources    (3XKT)