OpenOntologyRepository: OOR "Hackathon" Session (n.03) - Tue 2013_07_30    (3W2I)

Session Topic: The "OOR-Ontohub-Gatekeeper API - III" Hackathon    (3W2J)

Session Co-chairs: TillMossakowski & KenBaclawski    (3W2K)

This is the 3rd session in a series of regular "hackathon" activities for the OOR team. The plan is to devote one meeting a month to intense coding (or other low level development) work.    (3W2L)

Conference Call Details:    (3W2M)

Attendees:    (3W3J)

Agenda Ideas    (3W3Z)

Resources    (3W45)

Agenda & Proceedings    (3W4E)

Archives:    (3W4F)

1. Meeting called to order:    (3W4M)

2. Roll Call:    (3W4R)

3. Key discussion:    (3W4U)

3.1 Review of previous meetings' decision and action items    (3W4V)

3.2 work for this hackathon session    (3W51)

4. Prior Discussions: ... for reference only!    (3W58)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months    (3W59)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like    (3W5G)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)    (3W5H)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:    (3W6F)

 see raw transcript here.    (3W6G)
 (for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
 Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.    (3W6H)
 -- begin in-session chat-transcript --    (3W6I)
	Chat transcript from room: oor_20130730
	2013-07-30 GMT-08:00 [PDT]
	------    (3WEV)
	[6:56] PeterYim: Welcome to the    (3WEW)
	 = OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Hackathon Session n.03 - Tue 2013_07_30 =    (3WEX)
	Session Topic: The "OOR-Ontohub-Gatekeeper API - III" Hackathon    (3WEY)
	Session Co-chairs: TillMossakowski & KenBaclawski    (3WEZ)
	This is the first of a series of regular activities for the OOR team. The plan is to devote one meeting a month to intense coding (or other low level development) work.    (3WF0)
	session page:    (3WF1)
	Attendees: TillMossakowski (co-chair), KenBaclawski (co-chair), AleksandraSojic, DanielCoutoVale, MichaelGruninger, PeterYim, ToddSchneider    (3WF2)
	 == Proceedings ==    (3WF3)
	[7:02] PeterYim: Till: Daniel and Aleksandra are on the same voice line with me    (3WF4)
	[7:02] PeterYim: Michael: I need to leave in an hour    (3WF5)
	[7:04] PeterYim: == Till: let's start with the IDL interface    (3WF6)
	[7:04] TillMossakowski:    (3WF7)
	[7:05] PeterYim: Till: Daniel has completely revised the interface (API)    (3WF8)
	[7:08] MichaelGruninger: my github id is gruninger    (3WF9)
	[7:09] TillMossakowski: OK, have added you    (3WFA)
	[7:10] PeterYim: Till: API needs to be compatible with OMV - ref.    (3WFB)
	[7:18] TillMossakowski: TODO: links, covering both ontology alignments, as well as the relation between an OWL version 
        and the CL version of an ontology    (3WFC)
	[7:21] TillMossakowski: an initial ontology of links can be found at    (3WFD)
	[7:29] TillMossakowski: [consensus] links are a fundamental notion, hardwired into the API. But the properties of links 
        are expressed using a meta ontology.    (3WFE)
	[7:30] PeterYim: == Gatekeeper API discussion    (3WFF)
	[7:31] TillMossakowski: [consensus] gatekeeper is included, but modified in that it is about access of users to repositories 
        (the latter in turn contain ontologies)    (3WFG)
	[7:32] PeterYim: == Till: discussing the meta-ontology on categories    (3WFH)
	[7:33] PeterYim: ... Aleksandra explains her work    (3WFI)
	[7:33] TillMossakowski: please find the latest version at    (3WFJ)
	[7:33] TillMossakowski: raw version for Protégé:    (3WFK)
	[7:45] PeterYim: Till: this is a meta-ontology on subjects only    (3WFL)
	[7:46] PeterYim: Ken / Michael: ref. dimensions identified in OntologySummit2007 - see:    (3WFM)
	[7:50] ToddSchneider: Why can't the 'categories' of ontology subject be instances of a class 'category' and thus the range of 'hasSubject'?    (3WFN)
	[7:55] PeterYim: at the OOR level, maybe we want to "under-specify" ... and leave it to the domain-specific 
        Ontology Repositories (open or otherwise) to define their own categorization    (3WFO)
	[7:58] KenBaclawski: The ontology classification should be a distributed ontology in several senses of "distributed".    (3WFP)
	[7:59] TillMossakowski: However, all these meta ontologies should be properly aligned, such that they form a 
        distributed ontology, which can also (using DOL's combine construct) by combined into one big meta ontology.    (3WFQ)
	[8:00] TillMossakowski: This lifts federation among ontology repositories to the level of meta ontologies, which also 
        need to be federated and aligned.    (3WFR)
	[8:01] AleksandraSojic: The first version of the Domain-fields-ontology ( ) 
        provides a meta-classification that according to the domain subjects distributes domain-ontologies into the domain-specific 
        classes. The first version (respecting the specification of the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED)) 
        consists of 102 classes. The revised version, extended with biological and medical categories consists of 225 classes.    (3WFS)
	[8:01] TillMossakowski: Michael: we should work in a bottom up way, looking at existing meta classifications for ontologies.    (3WFT)
	[8:03] TillMossakowski: Michael: we should not freeze things in advance    (3WFU)
	[8:02] PeterYim: @Aleksandra & Till - ref. the categorization proposed earlier by MikeDean - 
        - would this categorization be a subset of the "Domain_fields.owl" ontology now?    (3WFV)
	[8:04] TillMossakowski: @Peter: no, it is not (yet)    (3WFW)
	[7:58] TillMossakowski: [consensus] OOR and Ontohub should only have a coarse-grained meta-ontology for subject classification. 
        Different communities will have more specific OOR / Ontohub instances, with more specialized meta ontologies. 
        The latter should be maintained by these specialized communities.    (3WFX)
	[8:07] TillMossakowski: for Ontohub, we plan that the user can add new categories on-the-fly. This is a bit like tagging. 
        However, we want to force the user to place the new category at some position in the class tree of the meta ontology.    (3WFY)
	[8:07] TillMossakowski: This new category can then later be accepted, modified or rejected by the maintainer of the meta ontology.    (3WFZ)
        [8:09] PeterYim: I suspect we are having the same discussion that the people were having! :)    (3WG0)
	[8:09] ToddSchneider: Good suggestion    (3WG1)
	[8:12] PeterYim: ... [on further discussion, adopting doesn't seem very appropriate] point well taken; 
        we can't just adopt ... their scope and use case is very different from ours    (3WG2)
	[8:15] ToddSchneider: Bottom up is not necessarily bad, only when it's unconstrained.    (3WG3)
	[8:16] ToddSchneider: Have to go. Cheers.    (3WG4)
	[8:24] TillMossakowski: Peter: we have agreed on 1) API, 2) metadata, 3) UI. We can discuss all three points.    (3WG5)
	[8:25] TillMossakowski: UI=user interface    (3WG6)
	[8:27] TillMossakowski: we agreed on having three topics 1) API, 2) metadata, 3) UI    (3WG7)
	[8:37] PeterYim: to be exact ... we have agreed *to focus on* three topics 1) API, 2) metadata, 3) UI ... and try to complete 
        work on them in 3 months - ref. 2013.06.18 discussion:    (3WG8)
	[8:28] TillMossakowski: in detail, we have more agreement on API than on metadata than on UI    (3WG9)
	[8:30] PeterYim: we will align our (OOR team) thoughts on categorization at the Sep.10 OOR meeting (internally) ... then 
        schedule a community session, on Tue Sep.24, to get input and buy-in from other major domain communities (like BioPortal, 
        Geospatial, Standards, etc.)    (3WGA)
	... [action] ALL: please start thinking who we should be inviting over to that 9/24 session    (3WGB)
	[8:32] PeterYim: [action] we will start a wiki page for the categories meta-ontology ... to capture developing work, and 
        help prepare for the Sep-24 community session    (3WGC)
	[8:38] PeterYim: next meeting - Tue 2013.09.03 - 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EDT / 4:00pm CEST / 3:00pm BST / 1400 UTC - regular 
        OOR Team (admin & planning) session    (3WGD)
	[8:38] PeterYim: talk to you all then! Have a wonderful summer holiday in August!    (3WGE)
	[8:39] PeterYim: very productive session!    (3WGF)
	[8:39] PeterYim: -- session ended: 8:37am PDT --    (3WGG)
 -- end in-session chat-transcript --    (3W6J)

6. Action items:    (3W6K)

7. Any Other Business: ... (deferred to the next meeting)    (3W6M)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:    (3W6O)

 notes taken by: PeterYim / 2013.07.30-9:59am PDT
 All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.    (3W6X)

Resources    (3W6Y)