sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and IntegratingOntologies

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:42:57 -0400
On 13/04/2010 3:35 PM, Cory Casanave wrote:
> Joe,
> Having "SOAP" authorities is certainly an important part of trust,
> however informal trust mechanisms are also proving quite robust.  The
> point is that the consumer selects their trust authority (meta trust?).
> Understanding the chain of trust and dependencies for a resource is
> something the infrastructure can help with.
> -Cory

+1
In software development, Maven gives you a complete dependency graph of
all of the packages from all of the suppliers that you are using, by
analyzing the metadata in each packages POM file to determine the chain.
It identifies version mismatches where two versions of the same artifact
are called up somewhere in the tree.
This type of display can be very helpful in identifying run-time problems.
It flags the issue but makes the assumtion of upwards compatibility and
builds your artifact with the latest version that is referenced.    (01)

It also helps you to understand whose software you are actually using.
You may not have much choice if a package that you trust depends on a
package that you do not know at all. I imagine that the same case will
appear in ontology.    (02)

Ron    (03)