sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:00:53 -0400
Use cases for the OOR and SIO would and should overlap because they
will naturally be used together.  One could, of course, use them
separately, but ideally the OOR will contain a basic set of modules
(theories) that almost everybody would want to use to build an
ontology of any size.  Furthermore, the SIO project will develop
the tools that make the OOR more than just a library.    (01)

RW> If the OOR is only to support ontology developers, then it is
 > at best an academic exercise and the real ontology work will
 > move elsewhere.  It has to help application developers find
 > the ontologies that they need and to understand which ones
 > can be used together.    (02)

Among the use cases for both the OOR and SIO are support for
the ontologies necessary for software design and development.
That implies a very large overlap with what the OMG is doing.
See below for a copy of a note I sent to an OMG email list.    (03)

CR>> The OOR is federated. So there is no central repository.    (04)

RW> I hope that the SIO will produce a structure similar to Maven
 > so that local and central and federated repositories can be built
 > the way Nexus is used to manage and distribute software artifacts.    (05)

If the OOR has a good set of basic ontologies, it will become
the first choice for anybody who wants to start or extend any
kind of ontology development.    (06)

If the SIO tools are sufficiently flexible and usable, they
will be adopted by anybody who wants to start or extend any
kind of ontology development.    (07)

I cited Eclipse as an example, because developers for small
businesses, large corporations, and open-source projects
all use it and contribute to it.    (08)

I hope that we can attract the same people who use Eclipse,
but we must also support the Semantic Web, SOA projects,
and document processing of any kind.    (09)

John    (010)