sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and IntegratingOntologies

To: sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:25:53 -0400
Ron,    (01)

There are some kinds of vetting that can be done fairly easily,
and the major part of the burden should be placed on the people
who design the ontology and contribute it to the OOR.    (02)

RW> It is difficult to see how any group can vet the entire range
 > of human activities.    (03)

Since the full range is unlimited, that is obviously impossible.
But the metadata of the OOR can and should include evaluations,
pro and con, by people who actually used the ontology.    (04)

One of the most important tests is consistency.  In general,
a proof of consistency can be undecidable or take an exponential
amount of time.  For example, any theory that has at least one
model is guaranteed to be consistent, but finding a model for
an arbitrary theory is as difficult as using a theorem prover.    (05)

However, people don't develop ontologies in a vacuum.  They
usually start with at least one application, and they begin
by describing the entities that actually occur in that
application.  That application is indeed a model, and its
existence demonstrates consistency.    (06)

See slide 6 of the following talk for that point:    (07)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/sionto.pdf    (08)

The minimal vetting that I would recommend for the OOR is to
require at least one model for each contributed ontology.
Then the consistency test for that ontology can be done by
pushing a button to check the ontology against the model.    (09)

RW> What are you going to do if the DoD adopts an ontology for
 > contracting that has not been vetted? Or Federal Reserve for
 > interbank reporting? Or Walmart for provisioning, payments and
 > warranty claims?    (010)

I would push the button and check whether it was consistent.
If they didn't include a model, I'd ask them to send the one
that they used in designing and testing the ontology.    (011)

If they didn't have such a model, I'd notify my congressman
that the gov't is screwing up.    (012)