oor-nsf07601

Re: [oor-nsf07601] Project Description

To: oor-nsf07601 <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Graybeal <graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 19:35:15 -0800

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

Ken, it all looks pretty impressive.  I hope we can engage in a
broader collaboration at the earliest opportunity.    (02)

There are some changes needed in this paragraph, please [original
presented below]:    (03)

John Graybeal, Luis Bermudez and their team at the Monterey Bay
Aquarium Research Institute will be
cooperating with the OOR team to integrate The Marine Metadata
Interoperability (MMI) project with the
OOR. MMI has the key mission objective of developing a broad community
presence to address marine
metadata issues. This puts us in a unique position to understand
community needs, address those needs
in open and broadly applicable ways, and obtain community engagement
and buy-in for open solutions.    (04)

Please consider this rewording (as Luis is not an MBARI person and I
think this doesn't put MMI or my role in the best possible way given
our circumstances):    (05)

The Marine Metadata Interoperability (MMI) project team will
collaborate with the OOR project to integrate MMI project work with
the OOR effort. Coordinated by Principal Investigator John Graybeal of
the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, MMI has as its key
mission objective developing a broad community presence to address
marine metadata issues. The MMI project is uniquely positioned to
understand community needs, address those needs in open and broadly
applicable ways, and obtain community engagement and buy-in for open
solutions. With Technical Lead Carlos Rueda and contributor Luis
Bermudez (Southeastern Universities Research Association), MMI's
pioneering work developing a community semantic architecture and
ontology repository will provide key insights and building blocks for
the OOR project.  MMI's marine science solutions are equally valuable
and viable in most environmental communities, and a natural
progression of the effort; several environmental science communities
are represented at our semantic interoperability workshops.    (06)

The last 2 sentences can be omitted if you have an issue with them,
but I think they support the lead-in of 3.3.  You can drop "Technical
Lead Carlos Rueda and" if that is an issue for someone; I can't see
that it should be, given his role.    (07)

On that topic, 3.3 presents 4 domains, but then the fourth paragraph
after that buries the 4th domain after a different one. Readers might
get confused if the Michelle Raymond sentence isn't the first one
mentioned. Not sure what the fit is for the first sentence (Kate) vis-
a-vis the list at the top; if it's meant to be part of Climate and
Environment, I'd make it a separate paragraph: "The Climate and
Evironment sector also includes the man-made environment, a diverse
sector..."    (08)

Glad you found a good use for the text I recently sent, that was clever!    (09)

Thank you very much for putting this together.  I would like to talk
to you after the submission about the future solicitations MMI is
pursuing, and which ones may be suitable for broader, more explicit
collaboration in the area of ontology repository development.    (010)

John    (011)

P.S.  I will copy the text above only to Luis, just for his
appreciation of how he is being mentioned. I trust that small sharing
is OK.    (012)

On Nov 5, 2008, at 5:45 PM, Ken Baclawski wrote:    (013)

> [...]
>> Development of APIs and planning for adaptation and integration of
>> the
>> existing ontology
>> repository platforms. Frontier research start up in areas defined by
>> vision. Education
>> and outreach programs are limited to selected subcommunities.
>> ? Year 2: Completion of the first release of the OOR platform.
>> Initial
>> delivery of OOR services
>> to the targeted communities. Feedback from the communities will be
>> gathered for use in the
>> next phase. Planning begins for the second release. Frontier research
>> focus on DataNet
>> infrastructure enablers.
>> Education and outreach programs expand but remain within the targeted
>> communities.
>> ? Year 3: Development of the second release begins, based on lessons
>> learned. Education and
>> outreach programs expand beyond the targeted communities to other
>> DataNet partners. Delivery
>> of OOR services to additional research communities. Frontier research
>> focus on community
>> interaction enablers. Framework for incorporating research results
>> designed.
>> ? Year 4: Second release of the OOR platform. Education and outreach
>> expands to include
>> commercial and industrial communities. Transition to self-sustaining
>> OOR begins with planning
>> for the organization structure. Frontier research expansion
>> encouraged. Framework for incorporating
>> research results integrated into the OOR.
>> ? Year 5: Transition toward fully self-sustaining mode. Frontier
>> research expansion continues and
>> framework for incorporating results back into OOR exercised.
>> Education
>> and outreach are now the
>> primary role played by the project.
>>

>> Suggestion for addressing 2): Annually the Ontolog Forum hosts an
>> Ontology Summit, which makes a statement appropriate to each Summit's
>> theme as part of our general advocacy designed to bring ontology
>> science and engineering into the mainstream. The theme for 2008 is
>> "Towards an Open Ontology Repository". This resulting communiqué
>> represents the joint position of those who were engaged in the year's
>> summit discourse on an Open Ontology Repository (OOR) and of over 60
>> endorsements from around the world. Leo Obrst and  Mark Musen were
>> lead editors for the 2008 Communique which can be found at:
>> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008_Communique
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Michelle Raymond
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Ken Baclawski <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> [ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please
>>> do not share or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]

>>> COB.

>>> We should focus on covering the requirements as well as possible

John    (015)

John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>  -- 831-775-1956
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org    (016)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_Proposal/Nsf_07601    (017)