oor-nsf07601

Re: [oor-nsf07601] Project Description

To: oor-nsf07601 <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michelle Raymond" <michellearaymond@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 17:47:34 -0600

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

Ken,    (02)

Two comments:    (03)

1) It is not required that the DataNet Partner be fully
self-sustaining within the first five years.  A second round of
funding may be available to transition. Of course, it is good to get
as self-sustaining as possible; but, it would not be good to do so at
the expense of research.    (04)

2) The Ontology Summit 2008 Communique hasn't been in a publication,
but perhaps could be referenced within the document.    (05)

Suggestion for addressing 1):
Year 1: Gathering of requirements from the initial communities being
targeted by the OOR.
Development of APIs and planning for adaptation and integration of the
existing ontology
repository platforms. Frontier research start up in areas defined by
vision. Education
and outreach programs are limited to selected subcommunities.
• Year 2: Completion of the first release of the OOR platform. Initial
delivery of OOR services
to the targeted communities. Feedback from the communities will be
gathered for use in the
next phase. Planning begins for the second release. Frontier research
focus on DataNet
infrastructure enablers.
Education and outreach programs expand but remain within the targeted
communities.
• Year 3: Development of the second release begins, based on lessons
learned. Education and
outreach programs expand beyond the targeted communities to other
DataNet partners. Delivery
of OOR services to additional research communities. Frontier research
focus on community
interaction enablers. Framework for incorporating research results designed.
• Year 4: Second release of the OOR platform. Education and outreach
expands to include
commercial and industrial communities. Transition to self-sustaining
OOR begins with planning
for the organization structure. Frontier research expansion
encouraged. Framework for incorporating
research results integrated into the OOR.
• Year 5: Transition toward fully self-sustaining mode. Frontier
research expansion continues and
framework for incorporating results back into OOR exercised. Education
and outreach are now the
primary role played by the project.    (06)

Suggestion for addressing 2): Annually the Ontolog Forum hosts an
Ontology Summit, which makes a statement appropriate to each Summit's
theme as part of our general advocacy designed to bring ontology
science and engineering into the mainstream. The theme for 2008 is
"Towards an Open Ontology Repository". This resulting communiqué
represents the joint position of those who were engaged in the year's
summit discourse on an Open Ontology Repository (OOR) and of over 60
endorsements from around the world. Leo Obrst and  Mark Musen were
lead editors for the 2008 Communique which can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2008_Communique    (07)

Best regards,    (08)

Michelle Raymond    (09)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_Proposal/Nsf_07601    (011)