Re: [oor-forum] Categories for ontologies

To: oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Oliver Kutz <okutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Till Mossakowski <Till.Mossakowski@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:53:36 +0200
Am 29.05.2013 00:29, schrieb John F Sowa:
> On 5/28/2013 4:27 PM, Till Mossakowski wrote:
>> After all, the user wants to use *one* ontology or classification
>> system for classifying ontologies.
>
> What do you mean "one classification system"?    (01)

In BioPortal, when the user uploads a new ontology, (s)he can provide
some categories classifying the ontology. When browsing all ontologies,
you can also filter them by category.
The possible categories are: Animal Development, Biological Process,
Human, Plant, Yeast, Cell etc. (Btw, not all categories returned by the
REST service can be selected for browsing.)
The OOR instance http://mercury-ncbo.ornl.gov seems to (erroneously) use
the same categories
In the OOR instance http://socop.oor.net, the categories are (exhaustive
list): Commercial, Cultural, Defense, Financial, Geospatial, Government,
Literature, Metadata, Other, Process, Provenance, Science, Social
Networking, Standards, Technology, Upper Ontologies.
I now just wonder what we should do for Ontohub.    (02)

> The number of different kinds of ontologies, their purposes,
> goals, applications, levels, logics, notations, uses, etc.,
> is open-ended.
>
> Suppose that somebody asked you to compare Cyc to BFO to the Good
> Relations ontology to schema.org.  Where would you begin?  And why?    (03)

It is not about comparing ontologies. It is just that the "filter by
category" dropdown box on the browsing web page needs to show a finite
list of options to the user...    (04)

Best, Till    (05)

--
Prof. Dr. Till Mossakowski  Cartesium, room 2.51 Phone +49-421-218-64226
DFKI GmbH Bremen                             Fax +49-421-218-9864226

principal office, *not* the address for mail etc.!!!:
Trippstadter Str. 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
management board: Prof. Wolfgang Wahlster (chair), Dr. Walter Olthoff
supervisory board: Prof. Hans A. Aukes (chair)
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313    (07)