Re: [oor-forum] Categories for ontologies

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Oliver Kutz <okutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:22:59 +0000
No, but these classification systems are in general thesauri, as opposed to
ontologies, i.e., basically a taxonomy with broader_than/narrower_than
relations only.     (01)

The Library of Congress linked data service is at http://id.loc.gov/. With the
SKOS subject headings (among others) at: http://id.loc.gov/download/. But most
are large: e.g.,
http://id.loc.gov/static/data/authoritiessubjects.rdfxml.skos.zip is about 63
MB zipped. The raw rdf is about 1.6 GB. Guaranteed to crash your non-text tool
in general (it does open in WordPad, but blows NotePad, probably would open in
Emacs).    (02)

Thanks,
Leo    (03)