Re: [oor-forum] using irc as supplementary communication channel

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:04:39 -0500
At 11:37 AM -0700 7/25/08, Peter Yim wrote:
>Thank you for the suggestion, Li.
>
>I didn't have a chance to get to this message until now (and
>obviously, wasn't aware of it when we were at the call.)
>
>Nominally (although we generally only use this during Ontolog events,
>like invited talks or panel discussions), we have been using "soaphub"
>- a browser-based queue/chat tool that came out of IBM alphaworks
>(back in 2005).
>
>See, for example:
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_04_03#nid1D24
>
>Let's find out from the callers, what people think about adding some
>sort of 'chat' capability, to augment our regular team meetings.
>
>ALL:
>
>  o  like it, let's add 'chat' into our regular team conference calls.
>If so, would you prefer the 'soaphub' tool, IRC, or something else?    (01)

W3C WG meetings use IRC chat in addition to the
other lines of communication. It can be useful
for various purposes, including: allowing people
having phone problems to report them without
interrupting the flow; allowing everyone to see
the scribe's transcript as it is written (and
mention corrections or suggest alternative
wordings); to allow people to rapidly distribute
URIs to everyone without moving to a dictation
mode; to allow "off-line" sub-conversations to
take place without interrupting the main flow; to
provide a speaker queue which all can see, etc..    (02)

IRC seems to be the tool of choice here as it is
so widely used and everyone has, or can rapidly
get for free, the needed access software.    (03)

Pat    (04)

>  o  think we are doing fine now, with an agenda on the wiki,
>predominantly a voice conference, a chair, and a realtime note-taker
>
>  o  ... comments, preferences, more ideas, ...?
>
>Cheers.  =ppy
>--
>

>On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Li Ding <dingl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  we can use irc://irc.freenode.net/ontolog
>>
>>  Beside irc software, anyone using firefox can install a extension
>>  ChatZilla as irc client
>>  http://tw.rpi.edu/wiki/index.php/ChatZilla
>>
>>  best,
>>
>>  --
>>  Li Ding
>>  http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~dingl/

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections    (06)