Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository" (maybe "Ontology Registry

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:08:43 -0500
Peter Yim wrote:
>> In particular, were made an attempt (and came close) to adopting
>> a  definition for "ontology repository" (possibly even "ontology
>> registry"), but decided to put this up for asynchronous discussion
>> deliberation due to time constraints.
>
> Ref.
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2008_01_23#nid17US
>
> We were close ... (and have got to):
>
> "An ontology repository is a facility where ontologies and related
> information artifacts can be stored, retrieved and managed."    (01)

Hi Peter,    (02)

I find this definition perfectly acceptable.    (03)

> Let's open this up for discussion and then put it to a vote after 7
> calendar days (from the time-stamp of this message).
>
> Feel free to attempt defining "ontology registry" or "registry" too.
> If we are getting close, we'll adopt that as well.    (04)

While I found the discussion today quite interesting, I'm not sure how
important it is to our going forward to define registry or ontology
registry itself. I think there was a consensus understanding in general
of the distinction between a repository and a registry -- if we agree on
a definition for a repository (which is our end goal, if I understand
the project correctly :-), then perhaps we do not need to belabor a
definition of ontology registry as well?    (05)

Lee    (06)

> Thanks & regards.  =ppy
> --

Lee Feigenbaum
VP Technology & Standards, Cambridge Semantics Inc
lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1-617-553-1060    (08)