oor-dev

Re: [oor-dev] OOR-sandbox (v.2) now online at http://oor-01.cim3.net/

To: OpenOntologyRepository-development <oor-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Natasha Noy <noy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:41:01 -0800
> is there a programmatic way for uploading ontologies (not one by one
> but via an API)?    (01)

yes and no :) Naturally, there is a REST service call to upload an
ontology because that is what our UI does. At the same time, at the
moment we don't have a mechanism to check the credentials of the
caller and make sure this agent has a Bioportal account (UI does this
on its own) and thus we don't advertise this call. Paul can probably
describe what the call is (and I know we had a student who implemented
such capability from Protege), but it's pretty hidden for security
reasons. We definitely don't want it anywhere in a public wiki ,etc.
-- since the mechanism for the sandbox is exactly the same as for
BioPortal.    (02)

On federation, one of the things we proposed in the BioPortal renewal
was to develop some level of federation. although when we looked at
the details, we realize how much resources it  takes to develop a full
federation solution. Thus, we proposed to do a master-slave kind of
configuration. In any case, whether or not we pursue it here at NCBO
depends on the outcome of our renewal proposal.    (03)

Natasha    (04)