oor-dev

Re: [oor-dev] OOR-sandbox (v.2) now online at http://oor-01.cim3.net/

To: OpenOntologyRepository-development <oor-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Graybeal <graybeal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:18:37 -0800
> We have ORATE at: http://babel.informatik.uni-bremen.de/  if we were
> talking about a federation of repositories then it would
> make sense not to host the same ontologies over and over again but
> to point to other repositories. how could this be achieved?    (01)

The MMI team hosted a small meeting/telecon of vocabulary and
repository developers from Europe and the US last year, including
Natasha Noy of Stanford and Paul Alexander (then of MMI, now of
Stanford). Other repositories included the NERC DataGrid vocabulary
server, and some follow-on projects of the NeON team. It was my goal
to pursue this very thing (or even shared development of capabilities).    (02)

In the end I was unsuccessful.  I did not detect a groundswell of
enthusiasm from the participants for pursuing this direction, and
though we of MMI felt strongly that it would be valuable, we did not
have resources to pursue it on our own. It was clear there would be
technical challenges, having to do with federating metadata and
ontology content seamlessly across representations.    (03)

On the MMI side, we have had to think about some of these problems
anyway, so our users can find and leverage vocabularies and ontologies
hosted elsewhere, but we are still in the early days of that.    (04)

Now that there is a big workshop coming up in Europe later this year
(May?) on this very topic, I assume there is a reasonable chance that
a larger community will form to push this goal along.    (05)

If it is of interest, we should be able to dig up the notes from that
meeting. Only a few action items resulted, which I confess we have not
aggressively pursued.    (06)

John    (07)

Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org    (08)

On Feb 6, 2010, at 05:52, Alexander Garcia wrote:    (09)