Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2015 Theme

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 09:56:47 -0500
On 11/14/2014 8:47 PM, Michael Gruninger wrote:
> Although the discussion, as always, is fascinating, I'm not
> sure about the relevance to the Ontology Summit theme anymore.    (01)

I agree that the main task is to address the theme of the summit.    (02)

But in order to understand where we want to go, it's important
to recognize where we came from, what is the trajectory, and
what we can or should do about it.    (03)

I have very strong sympathies with Pat Hayes, who summarized his
disillusionment with the way ontology is or is not progressing.    (04)

My summary:  This endless stream of ontology summits reminds me
of the glorious five-year plans by the old Soviet Union.  Or in
Yogi B's famous words:  "It's deja vu all over again."    (05)

That's related to a talk that I'll present next week at the
Mexican AI conference.  I'm still making slides, but following
is a short paper that accompanies the talk:    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/micai.pdf
    Why has AI failed?  And how can it succeed?    (07)

Short answers:  (1) Too much fragmentation.  (2) We need a more
systematic basis for relating and integrating all the tools. *    (08)

In any case, I won't send any more notes until I return.    (09)

John    (010)

* PS:  Syntax cannot solve a semantic problem.    (011)