Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit 2014 Hackathon - Optimized SPARQL

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Mike Bergman <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:24:53 -0500
Since my first exposure to the Ontolog Forum, Peter in particular has
been an active steward to keep discussions clear of any proprietary or
product-oriented discussions.    (01)

The "hackathons" appear to me to be an backdoor way to promote and
discuss certain tools and products in a less than transparent way, and
in violation (as I understand it) of the forum's neutrality on such
matters. One could say anyone could participate in these hackathons, but
the choice of timing, topic, lead and so forth also can effectively
penalize any vendor that has not the time, direct interest or window to
participate.    (02)

I really have no idea what is exactly going on with this specific
activity, but I am really quite bothered by what I perceive to be a
biased and parochial tone. To my mind, there is clearly a conflict of
interest in a specific vendor writing reports under the guise and
implied endorsement of the forum.    (03)

I encourage the forum to re-think how it is handling these matters.    (04)

Mike    (05)