Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 15:35:06 -0000

Dear All,

Ed raises a couple of good test cases.

[MW>] Ed wrote

I think John Y’s point below is well taken.  I would say, however, that “pure abstractions” like ‘classifications’ or ‘sets’ don’t have a lifetime or any ‘spatial’ aspect per se.  By definition, they don’t change, ever, and they have no spatial properties.  They exist from the moment they are conceived, but it *usually* makes no difference whether you consider such things to have existed a priori, even though they are later added to the universe of reference.  That said, when you have a concept in your ontology like ‘class of class’, its instances, which are nominally pure abstractions, become ‘objects’ in the universe of *discourse*, and they have a real lifetime that begins when they are identified as instances/classes of interest.

[MW>] Google did not give me anything useful when I searched for the distinction between Universe of Discourse and Universe of Reference. I understand from you that Universe of Reference are the predicates, and Universe of Discourse are the objects predicates apply to.

I do not accept that becoming an object in the universe of discourse necessarily means they have a real lifetime, even if they are a class, just because they are instances of some class, though I accept that this is a choice you can make.

Can you explain please why choosing that classes in the UoD necessarily have a real lifetime?

For example, there may be standard diagnostic codes for various diseases, and when a new virus is identified, you may have a new ‘class’ of cases, and it might result in a segregation of previous cases that were previously “mis-classified”.  >From the point of view of temporal relationships, no change occurred in the temporal part of the case that was classified, and no change occurred in the necessary and sufficient conditions that were taken to characterize the earlier class, but the *name* of the earlier class is now associated with more refined conditions.

[MW>] Surely you could alternatively choose to manage the change in name of particular classes that have extensional identity. For one period a community uses a particular name for one class, and during another period it used the same name for another class. It seems to me you can choose to manage the temporal usage of names, rather than using versioning of temporal classes if you did not wish to admit temporal classes to your ontology.

The managed classification is a versioned object (a thing with temporal parts) such that each version (temporal part) is associated with an invariant ‘class’ defined by a specific set of properties.  The ‘misclassified’ case *is* an instance of the class associated with the classification (name) at that time, but it *is not* an instance of the class associated with that classification at a later time.  (It is difficult to find anyone in the biomedical communities who thinks that classification is truly rigid.)

[MW>] Or you could say that during one time period you (a community) were interested in one set of classes and at another time you were interested in another set of classes, where all the classes are extensional.

This is a gotcha.  Many modelers believe that those things are classes.  Being written for some implementation purpose, our ontologies often contain the statement that they are.  So, John’s point is actually broader in its impact than one might think.  The question is always what you *take to be* invariant.  If the ontology takes such a classification to be invariant, then it does not apply to the world in which the classification can be refined or revised.  But it may well apply to the world (use) for which it was intended.

[MW>] It seems to me that there is more than one way you can skin this particular cat, and the choice you make will likely depend on the ontological commitments you are prepared to make.

Regards

Matthew West

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk

+44 750 338 5279

In a similar way, if the ‘endurant’ ME in Cory’s view is the way you choose to make the ontology, and it serves your needs, who is to argue?  But if I see ME as the state in which I exist in a historical context, it is just another temporal state.  There was no ME (state) in 1900.

-Ed

--

Edward J. Barkmeyer                     Email: edbark@xxxxxxxx

Systems Integration Division

100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8263             Work:   +1 301-975-3528

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263             Mobile: +1 240-672-5800

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."