Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:08:33 +0000
John,
Of course 3d Ontologies are important, but I don't see how this is or could be
a conflict. The model of a thing over its lifetime or a snapshot/phase of a
thing are different. There should be a clear relationship between the lifetime
and the snapshot that is compatible with both approaches. What seems to be
missing in many ontologies (or DBMS) is the explicit statement of which one is
being represented.    (01)

As for " data structures, computation, and message passing are independent of
any assumptions about space and time ", I don't see how this could be the case.
 Those structures, messages, etc. are about something - either across a limited
timeframe or over all time. It not being explicit does not make it
"independent".     (02)

E.g. The weight taken at my last medical exam is a measurement of a snapshot of
me at that time - my medical record can contain many such measurements. The
medical record is intended to represent facts about ME, over all time.    (03)

-Cory    (04)