Re: [ontology-summit] The tools are not the problem (yet)

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:53:43 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

If I understand you correctly, you are using state in a different sense,
that I would call class of state. These are of course useful in the way you
describe, but are not particular states of affairs, which is the sense in
which we are using the term.
Regards
Matthew    (02)

On 2/18/2014 7:00 PM, Barkmeyer, Edward J wrote:
> As I now understand it, in your model, the universe effectively
> consists of states and abstractions...
> The ontological commitments are clear.    (03)

I agree.    (04)

But the point I was trying to make is that Matthew's ontology defines states
in terms of a 4D universe.    (05)

It is possible (and I believe preferable) to specify states and processes as
abstractions.  There is no need to assume anything about a physical time or
space (4D, 3D, or whatever) in order to define a Turing machine, a
finite-state machine, or a Petri net.    (06)

If you define states and processes abstractly, you can use them to specify
computations, data structures, etc., independently of anything physical.    (07)

If you do so, you can formalize communications among systems in a purely
abstract way -- independent of any assumptions about any ontology of
physics, space, time, matter, etc.    (08)