Re: [ontology-summit] Schema.org and COSMO

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:10:54 -0500
Pat,

This is an indirect route to answering your question:  The public-vocabs@xxxxxx discussion list http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/ is a *great* way to get a sense of who is using schema.org and what for.

I have no stake in, or relationship to, schema.org. I do find it extremely interesting, both because I have, in the past, worked in ontology-powered web search & discovery, and because it's a great, ongoing experiment in collaborative development, integration and reuse. I've been lurking on the list for about half a year, just listening and observing.

Contributors to the list include people at the three major search companies committed to consuming and using schema.org mark up when it is present. The majority of participants, however, appear to be people who are including such markup in sites and services. Much, much discussion involves cases in which some domain has some established concepts, sometimes even an ontology or vocabulary, and there is a desire to use schema.org markup for better findability & machine-interpretation, while integrate what they already have and do. Sometimes that involves creating extensions to schema.org, including discussion of how & where to fit them in, avoiding conflicts, confusion, and extra bulk while gaining whatever the intended benefits. Sometimes it is discussed and decided that the are of coverage is sufficiently specialized and outside of schema.org's aims that it is better not to extend it. And sometimes, reuse of existing schema.org elements is found to be suitable on its own, or with small amendments.

A fair bit of deconfliction and bug-finding comes up there, too.  It's good lurking. And more to your point, Pat, it's an illuminating hub of people using schema.org, for one purpose or another.

Best,
Amanda