Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: "'Anatoly Levenchuk'" <ailev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bock, Conrad'" <conrad.bock@xxxxxxxx>, <chris.paredis@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'David Price'" <dprice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Fredrick A Steiner'" <fsteiner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Victor Agroskin'" <vic5784@xxxxxxxxx>, <Ron_C_Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'David Leal'" <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'Matthew West' <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:30:14 -0600
Dear Anatoly,
As I understand it you suggesting is that given the deficiencies of the UML
family languages regarding scaling to business eco-systems one should start
over. I have to disagree with you; the disagreement is pragmatic.
What I see is that UML and SysML while needing improvement have become
defacto standards in many engineering domains. This family of languages is
slowly getting a formal semantics, they have good tool support, and they are
being used on a wide scale.  Further, OMG the keeper of these language
specifications recognizes that the standards need improvement and are
beginning to recognize that the languages need a formal semantics. There are
several RFPs from OMG related to this. One of them is called something like
a" precise semantics for composite structure"
The difficulty with scaling to eco-systems is not in my opinion a language
of UML or any other language; is a system engineering methodology defect.
One has to develop and enforce some common terminology (ontology?) and some
interoperability standards to expect to get consistent integrated
architecture. this commonality currently exists in the CAD world and many
multinational companies collaborate.  Developing some commonality at least
where things interface can work for use of UML in an eco-system. The lack of
this kind of hygiene is also responsible for even small projects failing.      (01)

Regards
- Henson    (02)