Re: [ontology-summit] INCOSE Ontology Action Group, onto SysML/UML

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: chris.paredis@xxxxxxxxxx, Ron_C_Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Bock, Conrad'" <conrad.bock@xxxxxxxx>, 'Matthew West' <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Victor Agroskin' <vic5784@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:02:19 -0700
With 700.000 to 1,000,000 people engaged in systems engineering world wide I
suggest that declaring SysML a "defacto standard" is a clear case of premature
immaculation.    (01)

When the SysML project was started several years ago the systemists in the
crowd urged that a formal semiotic base be established that acknowledged more
than state-determined systems and prescient design. The group decided that such
a bold step would threaten the then popular SE tools such as CORE, Cradle, etc.
so they agreed to pursue just a "next generation" of the existing situation.
Now that SysML, as evolved from that knowledge base, is clearly insufficient
for modeling context sensitive, autopoietic and autocatalytic systems let alone
cybersecure systems it is rather short-sighted to recommend evolving SysML.
Adopting the beacon of procedural programming and prescient design as your
navigation aid is not likely to be sufficient, either.      (02)

The SysML tribe is not going to be successful in pasting security and autonomy
considerations on to a SysML that can accommodate > 300 designers in one
project, particularly when inevitably a composite of more than a dozen
heterogeneous viewpoints.    (03)

Now that a reasonable amount of experience has been gained with the prototype,
Throw it away and give your new knowledge free range.    (04)

There are goals and there are stretch goals. A Goal is agreed necessary and the
participants have reasonable confidence they know how to achieve it. A Stretch
Goal is one that the participants have no good idea how to achieve it but,
agreeing is is necessary, commit to pursuit. Because societal needs for higher
order systems continues to increase but the systems community has not been
responsive for about 15 years it is clearly time for committing to a stretch
goal.    (05)

Suggest we all consider Anatoly's idea more fully.    (06)

Jack Ring    (07)

On Feb 23, 2012, at 8:30 PM, henson graves wrote:    (08)