Re: [ontology-summit] OS-2012 Problem Space

To: Ontology Summit 2012 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:06:35 +0000

I’m joining this thread a bit late. So I hope I don’t address things people have already commented on.

Concerning patterns, I’ve been recently looking at design patterns from the perspective of ontologies. Not necessarily system or software design patterns, but general artifact design patterns.

I mentioned this a bit in the chat from last Thursday’s session.  Maybe I can use a physical analogy.

Most ontologies of function describe classes such as dispositions, functions, realizations. Functions typically are associated with goals, e.g., the functional goals of a clawhammer are: to pound a nail into something having a specific density or hardness or tensile strength range (not iron, e.g.), or to extract a nail from such a thing.

So a very simple design pattern may be like a rule:

Apply object X to object Y with instrument I so that X partiallyPenetrates Y.

Or more logically (I'm abstracting away from Force):

Exists X, Y, I, Hx, Hy, Hi: object(X), object(Y), instrument(I), hardness(I, Hi), hardness(X, Hx), hardness(Y, Hy), Hi >= Hx, Hx > Hy /\ apply(X, Y, I) -> partiallyPenetrates(X, Y).

Or something similar.

It seems to me that something like the above is a more abstract design pattern that applies to clawhammers and many more artifacts. It also goes towards granularity, obviously as abstraction always does. I.e., one can think about substituting various kinds of objects, hardness levels, etc., to satisfy the pattern. Sledge hammers pound certain items into particular materials. Screwdrivers push objects via rotation into particular materials.

The goal might be for one object to partially penetrate another object. A more general pattern keeps that goal but broadens it. Hit X to Y to move Y. Croquet or golf, etc. A more specific pattern: Hit X to Y when Y is held stationary, with such force that a back portion of Y ignites to propel a front portion of Y. A gun and bullet, with a slight modification, a rocket. Or perhaps a shift analogically to a social organization ontology, and here is where metaphors help. Hit conservative-social-values to the electorate to move the electorate rightward into the nation-state’s governance.

Do we have system-level patterns along these lines AND along the types originally listed by Ali?

  • Modeling Patterns
  • Analysis Patterns
  • Problem Patterns
  • Codification Patterns
  • Transformation Patterns

A more complex design pattern, rather than just being a rule, is an ontology. I think Henson originally mentioned this. So perhaps there are levels of description/representation in ontologies that correspond to abstraction, but consist of classes, properties, and rules (the latter is often over-looked) that represent a pattern.

Perhaps the hammer-pattern above is a Modeling Pattern? The inverse of a Problem Pattern, i.e., how do you get a nail into a board? Or how do you get a board to attach securely to another board?

Perhaps an Analysis Pattern is: Invert the Problem Pattern to give you the initial Modeling Pattern? Glueing is a solution because it binds 2 objects; what else binds two objects? Some other material that doesn’t just bind their surfaces, but penetrates them and that binds them? I can even consider a mereotopological approach: either a straddling of 2 parts with a 3rd part providing the binding, i.e., a tangent or a 2-dimensional boundary solution. Or a solution in which a 3rd part becomes part of both the first part and the second part 3-dimensionally, i.e., a 3-dimensional boundary solution.

“Every part is either a boundary or an interior part or the union of a boundary and an interior part (where the disjunctions are of course exclusive).” [From B. Smith, 1996. Mereotopology: A theory of parts and boundaries. Data & Knowledge Engineering 20 (1996) 287-303.]

Perhaps the analogical reasoning mentioned above is an example of a Transformation Pattern: take the original pattern and substitute different classes and see what the pattern means in that domain? Or go from so-called bona fide boundaries to fiat boundaries.

Just thoughts.

Thanks,

Leo