Re: [ontology-summit] Roles, Fillers, and Role Relations

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 10:29:26 -0000
Dear Cory,    (01)

> MW:
> With respect to your roles example; Please consider expanding "driver" to
> "Licensed driver".    (02)

MW: This was actually John's example, but even so, driver and licensed
driver are rather different things. If I take driver to be the role one
takes when actually driving a car, then I am only a driver when I am
driving. However, I am a licensed driver whether or not I am driving,
because it is a quite different sort of thing. Being a licensed driver is
about what one has authority to do, and not what one actually does.

> One interpretation of this would be "licensed driver" with respect to
> "authority"
> - Cory is currently a licensed driver in Virginia
> Another would be that the person is a "licensed driver" (implicitly with
> respect to one or more authorities)
> - Cory has been a licensed driver since 1970 {Note that this may include
> multiple licensing authority relations}    (03)

MW: Since this is about a kind of role that a person is authorized to
perform, I would indeed expect a relationship to the authority permitting
this.

> There could be relations and constraints concerning either, as we see in
the
> above examples.
> Perhaps we could call this "role with respect to" and "role status",
> respectively (you may have better terms).    (04)

MW: What you end up with is an authorized state of the person that is
allowed to take up this role. The licence would have the restrictions and
status as to e.g. the types of vehicle that could be driven.

> Another example I have used is "Parent"; if I have 2 children am I a
parent
> once or twice?
>
> It seems that both interpretations are valid and common forms of
expression.
> The cardinalities are different - "role with respect to" has a cardinality
of
> one with respect to some relation and a cardinality of "*" with respect to
the
> entity playing the role.  " role status" has a cardinality of 0..1 with
> respect to the entity playing the role and a cardinality of "*" (or 1..n)
with
> respect to the "role with respect to".  "Role with respect to" is the
> necessary and sufficient condition for "role status".
>
> It is possible (but not required) to consider "role status" as a dynamic
> classification on the entity playing the role, but not so for "role with
> respect to".    (05)

MW: Status always applies to a particular state, states are not dynamic. But
you may not have states in your scheme of things.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 1489 880185
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (08)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (09)