Re: [ontology-summit] Roles, Fillers, and Role Relations

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 09:17:23 -0500
Dear Matthew,    (01)

On that point, we are in complete agreement:    (02)

MW
> Indeed we agree that you cannot go from language to ontology without
> thought in between.    (03)

But that statement, by itself, doesn't provide any guidelines about the
issues to think about, how to represent them, and what to do about them.    (04)

A guideline I recommended in my books and email discussions can be used
with any computable representation, whether declarative (logic like)
or procedural (program like):    (05)

  1. State whatever you need to represent in simple English sentences
     (or whatever NL you prefer).    (06)

  2. Analyze any word or phrase from point #1 that is unclear, and
     decide how it could be defined in first-order logic + set theory.
     (For anybody who would like a quick overview of math and logic,
     see http://www.jfsowa.com/logic/math.htm )    (07)

  3. Then translate each sentence to the target notation by using
     the definitions from point #2.    (08)

This method is independent of any ontology or target language.    (09)

By the way, in my previous note I forgot to mention one of my favorite
examples of Noun-Noun phrases:  steamer clams vs. steamer duck.    (010)

  1. Steamer clams are clams that are cooked by steaming.    (011)

  2. A steamer duck is a duck that flaps its wings when it takes off
     and looks like a paddle-wheel steamer.    (012)

This illustrates the point that the way a modifier is related
to the following noun can be highly context dependent.    (013)