Re: [ontology-summit] Roles, Fillers, and Role Relations

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cory Casanave <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 17:58:39 -0500
MW:
With respect to your roles example; Please consider expanding "driver" to
"Licensed driver".    (01)

One interpretation of this would be "licensed driver" with respect to
"authority"
- Cory is currently a licensed driver in Virginia
Another would be that the person is a "licensed driver" (implicitly with
respect to one or more authorities)
- Cory has been a licensed driver since 1970 {Note that this may include
multiple licensing authority relations}    (02)

There could be relations and constraints concerning either, as we see in the
above examples.
Perhaps we could call this "role with respect to" and "role status",
respectively (you may have better terms).    (03)

Another example I have used is "Parent"; if I have 2 children am I a parent
once or twice?    (04)

It seems that both interpretations are valid and common forms of expression.
The cardinalities are different - "role with respect to" has a cardinality of
one with respect to some relation and a cardinality of "*" with respect to the
entity playing the role.  " role status" has a cardinality of 0..1 with respect
to the entity playing the role and a cardinality of "*" (or 1..n) with respect
to the "role with respect to".  "Role with respect to" is the necessary and
sufficient condition for "role status".    (05)

It is possible (but not required) to consider "role status" as a dynamic
classification on the entity playing the role, but not so for "role with
respect to".    (06)

Are you and John talking about the same role?    (07)

-Cory    (08)