Re: [ontology-summit] Roles, Fillers, and Role Relations

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Patrick Cassidy <ontopacas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 21:51:32 -0500

Matthew H,

   Yes, all that makes sense, but I did not find in that discussion any *logical* problem in allowing a subtype of both Role and PhysicalObject.

  As for the paper of Porter  et al, they gave as a reason to adopt their approach (which is also compatible with and representable in COSMO), that if an Employer is going to be a LegalEntity, and a LegalEntity must be a Person or Organization, then:

(c). Because an employer must be a legal-entity, employer must be a sibling

of person and organization. This does not capture our

original assertion that an employer is either a person or organization.

But in fact that does not follow.   ‘LegalEntity’ can be defined as the union of Person and Organization, and then an Employer can be a subtype of ‘LegalEntity’ and any instance of ‘Employer’ will be an instance of either ‘Person’ or ‘Organization’, but ‘Employer’ will not be  a ‘sibling’ class that is disjoint from both of those.  If I interpret their desiderata correctly, they seem to have overlooked that method of accomplishing what they want.  I ran it through Protégé-OWL and the reasoner didn’t find any problems.

   I appreciate the effort you make to explain real-world requirements.   In looking at your description of the systems and their designs, I don’t see anything that cannot be accommodated within the COSMO ontology.  You can have a separate system Specification with Roles in it, and instantiate those Roles and relate the Role instances to instances of PhysicalObject - if you  prefer.  It would seem that the system requirements could also be modeled as a subontology that imports the parent (e.g. COSMO, SUMO, OpenCyc).  Then all reasoning about system requirements and about actual events could be done by a reasoner using the ontology.   Did you try that method and find it unsatisfactory?  Still, I would not be particularly surprised if your approach works best in your situation.

As I have mentioned many times, I think ontologies should be designed to be most useful for their particular application.  In your application, considerations of computational efficiency or perspicuity (people so much prefer to do things the way they always have, and understand that better).  But that principle also means that one should not foreclose options that are more convenient than others.  The COSMO ontology permits reification of instances of  Roles, and they can be used as you and Porter prefer, yet staying  within the COSMO framework.  You just don’t **have to** do it that way.  But I expect that there will be cases (and in particular for language understanding and linguistic communication of machines and people), allowing, e.g. ‘Student’ to be both a role and a real live human being has certain advantages.  If it doesn’t suit your purpose, don’t use it.  As far as I can tell, it is logically consistent with the other approaches used, and can be translated to and from those approaches, using bridging axioms (which are not actually yet present in the OWL version).  As long as we have a foundation ontology that can understand and translate among the different approaches, we can have accurate interoperability among those ontology-based systems.

My major concern right now is how to promote interoperability among ontology-driven systems.   For this, one needs a common foundation ontology, but that becomes an insurmountable challenge when one potential user tries to dissuade others from using their own preferred representation(s),  based on some criteria other than logical consistency (or computational efficiency, or perspicuity).  There are different ways to say things that are logically equivalent and can be translated.  COSMO is designed to allow all approaches that are logically consistent.  (logically inconsistent parts must be represented as theories that are not part of the base ontology).   Personal preference is fine for one’s own work, but preferences need to be logically justified when trying to get common agreement for some minimal upper ontology, as we did unsuccessfully on several occasions.

PatC

Patrick Cassidy

MICRA Inc.

cassidy@xxxxxxxxx