Re: [ontology-summit] System Components

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Giancarlo Guizzardi <gguizzardi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 14:37:07 -0300
Now, regarding Ontology fo Systems:

One work which has not yet been mentioned here is the work of the philosopher Mario Bunge. Bunge wrote two books on Ontology, namely, Ontology I: The furniture of the world and Ontology II: A World of Systems. In the first one, he discusses basic issues such as Substance, Properties, Change, Laws, Mereological issues, State spaces, etc…In the second book, he applies much of the foundation layed out in the first book to work on an ontology of systems (physical, biological, social, …).

I certainly do not agree with all Bunge´s stuff (e.g., his mereological theory is certainly insufficient). However, it is an ontological work and one which is formally characterized. Moreover, Bunge´s work has been the foundation for Yair Wand and Ron Weber´s work named BWW, which was a pioneering work in ontological analysis and design of conceptual modeling grammars and methods. Moreover, Wand and Weber actually have used Bunge´s work to analyze system decomposition among other things.

By the way, I also disagree with aspects of BWW when it comes to using it as a foundation for conceptual modeling (and have written many papers addressing this). However, Bunge is adopted in my areas (including sociology) and BWW is very much adopted in schools of Information Systems (including Enterprise Modeling) – especially in North America and Australia. For this reason, I think they are definitely worth considering in this context.

Some useful references are:

http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~gibson/Teaching/CSC7302/ReadingMaterial/WandWeber90.pdf

http://purao.ist.psu.edu/532/Readings/WandWeber1990.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Treatise-Basic-Philosophy-Ontology-Furniture/dp/9027707804

http://www.amazon.com/Treatise-Basic-Philosophy-Ontology-Systems/dp/9027709440

Best,

Giancarlo

PS: Yair is a co-chair of the IAOA SIG on Ontologies and Conceptual Modeling and I think it would be great to have him participating in future panels on the topic