Re: [ontology-summit] [BigSystems and SystemsEngineering]Systemofsystems

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Park <jackpark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:26:01 -0800
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You may be remembered more fondly if you use complexness when referring to a
>system propery.
> Complexity is a property of the relationship between system complexness and
>observer naivety.
> Don't let its misuse to date by enjinears confuse you.
>    (01)

Well! Thanks for that, Jack. I hadn't even given that distinction any
thought. Forced me to visit a search engine.    (02)

wiktionary.org says this:
"complexness (uncountable). The state or quality of being complex"    (03)

wikipedia.org says this (among many other things):
"Definitions are often tied to the concept of a "system"—a set of
parts or elements that have relationships among them differentiated
from relationships with other elements outside the relational regime.
Many definitions tend to postulate or assume that complexity expresses
a condition of numerous elements in a system and numerous forms of
relationships among the elements. At the same time, what is complex
and what is simple is relative and changes with time."    (04)

wikipedia doesn't know the term "complexness". Maybe that means something.    (05)

I'm not debating definitions here, but I am curious about the
information conveyed in this statement: "You may be remembered more
fondly if you use complexness when referring to a system proper[t]y."
I don't see this as one of those wicked problems that calls for a
grand debate, but we do haggle terminology from time to time here.    (06)

In the end, I would really like to know if I should shift habits and
adopt the use of "complexness" as if it reflected my native
vernacular.    (07)

JackP    (08)