Re: [ontology-summit] [BigSystems andSystemsEngineering]Systemofsystems

To: "Ontology Summit 2012 discussion" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jack Ring" <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:46:04 +0200
Jack, I like your point about "complexness" rather than "complexity" for
qualifying our own constructions.    (01)

I also very much appreciate this view you present of complexity:    (02)

> Complexity is a property of the relationship between system
> complexness and observer naivety.    (03)

I am more accustomed to insisting that any real Situation we are faced
with when conceptualizing is axiomatically "complex" and capable of more
than we do conceptualize for any given purpose.  Then all we can produce
from any given Situation (when we manage not to "oversimplify" it...)
runs the risk of being "complicated" and especially "overcomplicated".    (04)

That view is quite consistent (as viewed informally) with your making
the contrast with observer naivety rather than with the observer's
conceptual product.    (05)

I am saying rather more on this whole subject in what I shall shortly be
putting up on the wiki, but I shall nonetheless still be talking about
"Complex Adaptive Systems" (CAS) and their "complexity", because that is
the convention and I am already ignoring a rather dangerous proportion
of convention in my whole picture!    (06)

And in fact, CAS actually do tend to create their own real and
unpredictable Situations to confront us with.  They become part of the
given reality, and often a very important part.    (07)

Hence of course this excellent Summit Theme.    (08)

(And I really am trying hard not to overcomplicate it!)
((But it will also appear much simpler when I better introduce my
favourite Homeric metaphor...))
((So please have just a little bit more patience with me?))
Christopher    (09)