Re: [ontology-summit] FW: Track 1&2 Joint Mission and Session Abstracts

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:09:24 -0000

Dear Jack,

The main problem here is one of different people using terms differently. Hardly an ontological problem per se, but certainly a problem that causes confusion in developing ontologies.

Interestingly as a 4 dimensionalist I don’t recognise endurants at all, but I do recognise activities, physical objects, and participants. Under this world view all individuals (including activities, physical objects and participants) are spatiotemporal extents, and you discover that an activity consists of its participants, where a participant is the state of a physical object that participates in some activity. So I recognise the things you talk about. However, I would assign the term “system” to the physical object the participant is a state of.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.