Re: [ontology-summit] Proposed draft wording for opening part of communi

To: Ontology Summit 2010 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "BEDFORD, DENISE A.D." <dbedfor3@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:26:50 -0400
Peter,    (01)

Very nicely done.    (02)

Best regards,
Denise    (03)

From: ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter F Brown (Pensive)
[Peter@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 5:13 PM
To: Ontology Summit 2010 discussion
Subject: [ontology-summit] Proposed draft wording for opening part of communiqué    (04)

As promised, here is a first cut of a possible introduction text for the
communiqué.
This is the strawman, not me - please beat appropriately.    (05)

"Practical ontology development is of increasing importance - as witnessed for
example by the growing interest in the Semantic Web - and contributes a better
understanding of particular problem domains. It also provides formal processes
and methodologies to address information modelling in a way that goes beyond
the more limited scope often encountered when modelling for specific
applications or functions.    (06)

"As a result, ontologists (whether that be a formal job title, a functional
role or implicit in the work of an organisation) are in ever greater demand.    (07)

Our concern therefore, it to recognise that the role of 'ontologist' ss a
specific discipline that requires, as does any discipline, a distinct set of
skills. As these skills are in more demand, we need therefore to examine the
role of formal education and training in providing us with the ontologists of
tomorrow."    (08)

Peter    (09)

Peter F Brown
Managing Director
Pensive nv/sa    (010)

Pensive S.A. is registered in Belgium, N° 895.677.610 (RPR Antwerp)
Registered Office: Meerminne 7/1, B-2640 Mortsel
Correspondence: 1 Wendron Close, Woking, GU21 3PB (Great Britain)    (011)