Re: [ontology-summit] Proposed draft wording for opening part of communi

To: 'Ontology Summit 2010 discussion' <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Soergel, Dagobert" <dsoergel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:39:51 -0400
Here is another take on the introduction, first draft by Dagobert Soergel,
revised by Barry Smith    (01)

I propose to substitute this language.    (02)

Discussion should be in two parts:    (03)

1 the general paragraph    (04)

2 should the examples be included    (05)

Ontology (science) provides the theories and methods for the rigorous
construction and analysis of a wide range of knowledge representation systems
including data models. It studies how definitions, classifications and
relationships should be formulated using the tools of logic and formal
semantics, and how ontology artifacts can be created on this basis.  These
ontologies can serve
- improving database organization and mitigating data silo formation,
- improving human-human,  human-computer, and computer-computer communication
(interoperability),
- automated reasoning, and simplifying software production and maintenance by
capturing declaratively the knowledge that is often implicit in procedural
programs..    (06)

To give some examples:    (07)

The Gene Ontology is used by thousands of biologists every day to code the
effects of genes in an organism they are studying and compare these effects to
what other biologists have found; analyzing the differences leads to
discoveries.    (08)

Ontology-based unification of medical knowledge and patient data promises
- improvements in patient care and concomitant reduction of costs through
automated suggestion of treatments and much improved communication between
health care professionals about the care of the same patient;
- improvements in medical research by the use of large databases of anonymized
patient data.    (09)

Ontological analysis has been used to discover inconsistencies in a customer
relationship management system    (010)