Re: [ontology-summit] Communique Summary - Revisions

To: Ontology Summit 2010 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:52:27 +0100
Hi, I post a message I sent today to the wrong list (ontology summit organization)  - Nicola

Folks,

unfortunately I am not able to attend the meeting remotely, please report to the audience my warmest wishes for a lively and fruitful event, also on behalf of the IAOA executive council.

I would like to point to a general issue emerged while discussing with Laure Vieu about the communique draft. Throughout the text, we use the term "ontology" to denote a new, emerging discipline. Clearly, ontology as such is not new. I suggest to use the term "applied ontology" instead of "ontology", just to point out that what creates this new research area is exactly the choice to use some categories and methodologies borrowed from philosophy for the purposes of scientific and technological research. This results in the unique interdisciplinary character of applied ontology, much higher than philosophical ontology.

If (more or less) people agree on this, I will be happy to interact with the final editors in order to word out the above points properly.

Cheers everybody,

Nicola