Re: [ontology-summit] [Fwd: Re: Progressing a Units Ontology - virtual s

To: "'Ontology Summit 2009'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 12:41:41 -0400
I think that an exercise which would not be too strenuous would be to take
the NASA sciUnits ontology (in OWL), add in all missing units and relations
that are in the NIST Units Markup Language list, and see how that could be
reconciled with Gunther Schadow's UCUM.  If anyone has a special interest in
other UOM representations, and is willing to join in, then those also could
be part of the effort to find a common representation.  Since we are talking
about an "ontology" here, I would suggest that an OWL representation would
be the minimum level of expressivity to aim for in the first phase.  The
Protégé viewer makes that convenient.  Other modeling formats such as UML
might be accommodated if anyone has a good translator or is willing to build
one.    (01)

Pat    (02)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.