Re: [ontology-summit] Progressing a Units Ontology - Now

To: "'Duane Nickull'" <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Ontology Summit 2009'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter R. Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 08:55:17 -0400
Before we go down the standards route it may be helpful to publish the work
and see what industry thinks of it. As the purpose of the eOTD is to collect
concepts from multiple sources if anyone finds units of measure that are not
in the eOTD we can easily add them. The ontology could be used to "organize"
the unit of measure concepts in the eOTD and we would be able to provide it
as a unit of measure viewer as well as a download format. We could track
downloads and use the emails to solicit input on the value of the work prior
to submitting a standard.
The purpose of the eOTD is to remove the emotion surrounding harmonization.
Concepts are mapped and actual use determines the ultimate harmonization if
any is required.    (01)

Peter    (02)