Re: [ontology-summit] Slight amendment to Gerry's request, plus a synops

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

Thank you for a well organized workshop on Ontology.

I asked couple of basic questions,  just to feel the orientation of Ontology in the scope of semantic web again!

In 2003/2004  Tim Berner Lee had developed a " Layerd Cake "  Semantic Web Architecture model.   This included  XMl, XML Schema, RDF Syntax, RDF Schema, Ontology support, logic etc..  with an explanation that XML is an enabling factor for interoperability.
And at that time, roadmap guided us to explore more about RDF and Ontology area..

In 2006 - Dr.LeoObrst's presentation provided more details to the semantic web architecture, which included more details about Ontology..

In general, all these topics are part of information architecture of Enterprise architecture.   ( During the workshop people were talking about business architecture..)    Of course, with an explanation that  information architecture, should represent the information model that is used for the business, in the business architecture.

Today's discussion was a follow up of ontology development for different domain area ( Unit,  Finance etc..) and standard development.

With this background  ( or big picture ) in mind,  are we looking at scoping out what needs to be done this year only?  The 9 project listed does represent our discussion.

However, I would like to suggest to include
 -  Health, Energy ( or global warming / green energy ??) and Education, infrastructure  domains along with financial and other projects listed.

All the bailout talk  in US and in the rest of the world addresses these domains.  So we may have to work on these areas anyways!

No Offense to anyone, just a practical suggestion, to align with the current market projections.

Regards,
Pavithra  Kenjige