Re: [ontology-summit] Slight amendment to Gerry's request, plus a synop

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sirarat Sarntivijai <siiraa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 19:38:57 -0400
Dear Joab et al.,    (01)

The piece is a great summarized story of the meeting. In addition to
that, I would like to raise some awareness of collaboration for
interoperability and reusability here.    (02)

At the meeting, Dr. Ravi Sharma stressed on the importance of
"integration" a few times (perhaps, this should be quite an important
remark to add to the write-up). And I cannot say enough of how much I
agree with him. I think the underlying statement of this idea is,
although the ontology creation is important to answer the question of
*what* should be built using ontology technology, the challenges do
not lie in how it is built, but rather how it is going to be used.    (03)

At this moment, people seek the immediate answer to building the
industrial ontology in need for the common annotations/understanding
of the data while wanting to promote the *interoperability* and
*reusability*. Therefore, ontologists should keep in mind that even
though the ontology that s/he creates will be defined to fit his/her
use, it would be of a greater benefit to think of how it is going to
be reused and interoperated as well.    (04)

The title of the write-up saying "Data reuse not possible without
some ontological work" is only partially accurate, if I may say. Even
with some ontological work in place, if the community is not thinking
ahead of how this work is going to be used with other ontological
work, reusability and interoperability can be and will be very
challenging. Because ontology, in many cases, is built in a bottom-up
manner where the creator of that ontology may or may not be aware of
the ontology's power of computations for its reasoning sense. We have
talked about eight different ontologies at the meeting. The primary
use for each ontology seems to be well-defined within the individual
scope of that ontology (I only heard two examples in the Unit
Ontology and the Geospatial Ontology that would exercise this logical
reasoning ability). However, I do urge the community to start
thinking about how these ontologies are interrelated.    (05)

For example, i can very well imagine the building ontology (ref:
MacPherson) reusing the geographical elements from the geospatial
ontology (ref: Lieberman) project. Another example would be the
gas&oil industry ontology (ref: West) collaborating the banking/
financial elements into its structure using the financial ontology
(ref: Nichols/Bennett), and the list goes on.    (06)

It is not only the interactions within the industrial ontologies that
should be promoted, the interrelations with other seem-not-too-
related worlds are definitely there. In health care and biomedical
research, at many times what goes on with the treatment of one
patient is tracked by the device being connected to the patient, and
those devices can be defined by their physical locations. Having
building ontology defined in place with a reusable definitions can
certainly help improve the patient treatment tracking systems.    (07)

At a larger scope, I also urge that the organization at a higher
level sees to the importance of this kind of collaboration. There
seems to be a disconnection between organizations that can block the
knowledge transfer among us. What we have learnt in biomedical
ontology at the NIH side from so many years of trial and error can
provide great insights to what is to do and what is not to do at NIST-
industrial ontology so we do not repeat the same mistakes elsewhere
which can cost us unnecessary time and money.    (08)

I can go on and on about this and it will only get more detailed, I
should stop here but I will be more than happy to discuss this offline.    (09)

Thank you for reading until this very line :)
Sira    (010)

Sirarat Sarntivijai
Ph.D. Candidate, Bioinformatics
Graduate Student Research Assistant, Center for Computational
Medicine & Bioinformatics
National Center for Integrative Biomedical Informatics
University of Michigan    (011)

siiraa@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccmb.med.umich.edu/
http://www.ncibi.org/    (012)

On Apr 8, 2009, at 3:44 PM, Mike Bennett wrote:    (013)