Re: [ontology-summit] Slight amendment to Gerry's request, plus a synop

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "MacPherson, Deborah" <dmacpherson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:51:56 -0400
RE: imagine the building ontology reusing the geographical elements - I've been
looking at "Building an Ontology for the National Map
[http://cegis.usgs.gov/ontology.html] introduced by Brand Niemann at the
conference and have a question: the Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
Feature Class Definitions
[http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=116:8:3034623299302385] *START* to
talk about buildings but not the right way. Unfortunately "building" is defined
as " A manmade structure with walls and a roof for protection of people and
(or) materials, but not including church, hospital, or school." Churches,
hospitals and schools are defined further on but the definitions are
fundamentally wrong in a number of ways. Especially the term "church" is not
generic enough and could be downright insulting to non-Christian religions.
Please refer to OmniClass Table 11 Construction Entities by Function
[http://www.omniclass.org/tables/OmniClass_11_2006-03-28.pdf]. This table is
currently being revised and will never be "done".    (01)

Obviously everyone is working to develop systems that work and are not using
incorrect terms or classes on purpose - there are memorandums of understanding
between organizations like buildingSMART, OGC and USGS, terms from GNIS could
be incorporated into the OCCS Table 11 update, the final results can be
officially transmitted to the organizations that could make use of
classification systems or terms. Or, I suggest geographic information systems
can define geographic features and just say "building" and leave it at that
regardless of what kind it is, and refer to an import from the building domain.
That way GIS would not need to keep up with BIM, integration would happen as
needed by location of each building and geographic feature as if the National
Map was one big Common Operating Picture. Likewise, buildings could reference
in more detailed and correct geographic information from the GIS world,
financial data, utility information such as oil and gas that is better
understood and maintained by others. A fully functional city would have
cohesive alignment. There will always be fuzzy areas in between the keepers of
terms and classes, for example an outdoor amphitheater is part of the built
environment but it does not have walls or a roof. Points like this could live
in both worlds if the same term is used.    (02)

The question is - which has been a historically worse - duplication as Howard
Mason mentions (which is a legitimate problem and wastes time) - or incomplete
and wrong?    (03)

Thank you,     (04)

Deborah MacPherson
Specifications and Research    (05)